Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i would like to say hello to all. I'm a newcommer here from Idaho, and would like to take the time offer up some advice to anyone looking to buy thier first gun, and not sure what to do, I was about a week ago.
Bit of a back story: 10yr NAVY vet, from california. Moved to idaho to provide a better lifestyle for my family and I. Never handled a firearm, yes even in the Navy, and had very limites experience with guns.

Now after learning of the very, very gun-friendly laws her in idaho, and after my finances were in order, I felt it was right time to ARM myself. With little knowledge and not a large budget I began the painstaking search for the perfect firearm. After asking a few i knew and looking at several websites, I was more confused then I should have been. I also realized people were brand-name loyal when it came to thiet advices.

It took a few weeks for me, but I worked the courage to walk into the local SPORTSMAN'S WHEREHOUSE in fear of being looked at as a complete bumbling idiot. My only experience with handguns was from the day before going out with a law enforcers friend of mine and shooting his guns for a few hours.

Long story short, I purchased a RUGER SR9. And I tell you what if there a gun out there that is idiot proof this is it. I handled, fondled, gripped, slide, asked qurstion, every handgun they had and thus one is the one I thought was PERFECT for ME. I didn't go with what was flashy, or the coolest namebrand or biggest, baddest calliber. I went with what will help me get comfortable with a gun. And what felt right.

As soon as got my SR9, the same day mind you, I went and got ammom for that baby, went to the hills outside limits where it is legal to discharge a firearm and let the gloriousfeeling sending round after round into a poor paper Target that stood no chance. Amazingly enough I was able to hit bullseyes and cluster bullets together better then i would ever imagined. I fired 150 and never felt safer or better.

My only fault was I did not field strip and clean the gun prior to shooting, which may have caused some cases to jam my last clip. So i bought a cleaning kit, and cleaned "SIERRA" with painstaking detail. The next day I went through 150 more rounds and not one issue was caused by my inexperience.

All-in-all I am so happy that I got over my fear of being incompitant and found the PERFECT gun for me.
Sorry for the wall of text, but if this finds one person out there looking to buy thier gun, i hope my experience will help them, and they can be happy with thier first purchase as i am with mine.

Thank for your time.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Congratulations on a great first handgun. The SR9 is a fantastic firearm and I'm happy to see that you picked a good one. The best handgun is the one you shoot best. It has to fit you. A good brand is always a good thing....they didn't become a good name brand by being a terrible company. However, a good brand isn't everything. Glad you got a chance to ask questions and find what works for you.

WARNING: This is only the beginning of your disease. Now that you have found your first, you will continually be searching for the next. Ask me how I know :D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine. You picked a great shooting pistol. Congratulations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WARNING: This is only the beginning of your disease. Now that you have found your first, you will continually be searching for the next. Ask me how I know :D
Ok I must ask you know....lol... I understand how addicting it trully is....i want more guns and $25 for 100 rounds gets expensive. I'm now looking for a reloader...any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Ok I must ask you know....lol... I understand how addicting it trully is....i want more guns and $25 for 100 rounds gets expensive. I'm now looking for a reloader...any suggestions?
My first suggestion is to think about getting a 22 cal. pistol or revolver.
They are lots of fun to shoot, good for practicing fundamentals, and best of all the ammo is inexpensive.
The Federal Champion rounds I shoot are $22 for a carton of 525.

I'm no expert on reloading so I'll let others comment on that.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My first suggestion is to think about getting a 22 cal. pistol or revolver.
They are lots of fun to shoot, good for practicing fundamentals, and best of all the ammo is inexpensive.
The Federal Champion rounds I shoot are $22 for a carton of 525.

I'm no expert on reloading so I'll let others comment on that.
I agree with Jax. Get yourself a .22 pistol and you will be amazed how much practice you can get on the cheap. You will be even more amazed on how much better of a shot you become. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I take to the range with me every single time. Whether I am shooting 9mm, .45, or .357 Mag, I always warm up with .22s.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Congratulations on the SR9. I picked up the "C" version myself and it's a great shooter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good deal brother. I also recomend getting yourself a .22 to practice with. I have a 22 taures ultra light I plink with and I am thinking about picking up a 22 racey type pistol just for fun.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've looked at it before and 9mm is almost not worth reloading. Be sure to price components and consider start up cost, casting your own bullets could make the difference. Lead bullets versus jacketed bullets comes with it's own issues, but maybe not a deal breaker for you. Start saving your brass now if your gonna do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I join the chorus urging you to add a 22 to your Armory, if for no other reason than it's cheap to shoot. A 10-22 rifle will add a new dimension to your shooting skills as well.

Get a couple of spinner targets that you can 'ring the gong' when you shoot, for a change from the static paper target shooting. A couple of 6 packs of generic soda make nice targets as well...just bring a trash bag with you so you can police up the cans after shooting them.

Most of all, while you are approaching this as a learning challenge, take the time to have fun while you learn. Recreational shooting is F U N ... enjoy your experiences.
AL

·
Registered
596 Posts
Congrats on your first gun and SR9. My first purchase was that as well and to this day I love it. Haven't gone to the range for over a month now due to working 6 days a week. Sundays is spent home recouping and home duties.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Good choice for a first.

·
Registered
852 Posts
OK, since no one has addressed it yet, I'll be the "Mother Hen" and critique your Avatar. Why, in the name of Zues' butt-hole, is your finger on the trigger of your pistol if you are not firing it down range? Don't you realize that you could go blind doing that?:D Seriously though, I hope the picture was just for posturing and you don't normally stick your finger in the trigger guard on a regular basis. Safety, safety, safety. OK, lecture over.

Congratulations on the purchase. You cannot go wrong with a Ruger. May you have tons of fun at the range and build your skill.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,858 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
686 Posts
It took a few weeks for me, but I worked the courage to walk into the local SPORTSMAN'S WHEREHOUSE ...
Been there, done that. It was a pretty intimidating experience to walk up to the counter the first time, made even worst by the fact that my LGS staff would never win any Mr./Mrs. Congeniality award.

Well, we persevered. The next time it will be like a walk in a park. Because there will the next time, believe me. ;):D

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. Thank you for your service.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.