Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I ordered a Mini 14 from CDNN. It came in today and my shop called to let me know I could pick it up. What better way to remember 9/11 than with an American-made classic firearm like the Mini 14, yes?

Anyway... I went at lunch to pick it up and filled out the paperwork. I checked 'White' for race because that's what I am. I handed the guy my paperwork and he said, "You missed one here next to ethnicity." I thought I had gone crazy for a minute and that I didn't check the box (I'm notorious for thinking things to myself and somehow being of the understanding that I actually said or did what I was thinking, when in actuality I just did it all in my head... Weird, I know).

Anyway, I said, "I thought I checked White. Here, I'll check it off for you." He said, "No, there's a new box separate from Ethnicity asking if you're Hispanic or Non-Hispanic." Apparently I'm a Non-Hispanic White guy.

There was a cop in the store and he said their forms had changed as well and when they're filling out reports it's Hispanic or Non-Hispanic and then whatever ethnicity.

Anyone else seen this? I'm guessing it's some sort of census thing in conjunction with that idiocy that Obama pushed through giving undocumented citizens (my wife informed me that in her Masters Program in Social Work they taught her that "Illegal Immigrants" or "Illegal Aliens" is not PC) temporary citizenship. I just wondered if it was all states or just South Carolina.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Just bought a new Savage Mark II, last week, and had the same thing to deal with. I guess in the scheme of things you can be white AND Hispanic, thus the extra box for Hispanic or non-Hispanic. Beats me why the government has to know anything about your ethnicity to buy a gun, anyway. None of their damn business as far as I'm concerned.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bought a new Savage Mark II, last week, and had the same thing to deal with. I guess in the scheme of things you can be white AND Hispanic, thus the extra box for Hispanic or non-Hispanic. Beats me why the government has to know anything about your ethnicity to buy a gun, anyway. None of their damn business as far as I'm concerned.
Hmm... Strange. I don't know why they need to know either. Unless it's a census thing. Maybe for keeping track of the number of guns sold per ethnic group versus number of gun crimes committed per ethnic group or something. But the numbers would be inaccurate because we all know criminals don't use registered guns (or at least not guns registered to them).

Anyway... I was just wondering if it was a state thing or a national thing. Apparently we're all affected by it. I'd love to see a Hispanic Native American. Explain that one Chief Hernandez! LOL!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Last week, I ordered a Mini 14 from CDNN. It came in today and my shop called to let me know I could pick it up. What better way to remember 9/11 than with an American-made classic firearm like the Mini 14, yes?

Anyway... I went at lunch to pick it up and filled out the paperwork. I checked 'White' for race because that's what I am. I handed the guy my paperwork and he said, "You missed one here next to ethnicity." I thought I had gone crazy for a minute and that I didn't check the box (I'm notorious for thinking things to myself and somehow being of the understanding that I actually said or did what I was thinking, when in actuality I just did it all in my head... Weird, I know).

Anyway, I said, "I thought I checked White. Here, I'll check it off for you." He said, "No, there's a new box separate from Ethnicity asking if you're Hispanic or Non-Hispanic." Apparently I'm a Non-Hispanic White guy.

There was a cop in the store and he said their forms had changed as well and when they're filling out reports it's Hispanic or Non-Hispanic and then whatever ethnicity.

Anyone else seen this? I'm guessing it's some sort of census thing in conjunction with that idiocy that Obama pushed through giving undocumented citizens (my wife informed me that in her Masters Program in Social Work they taught her that "Illegal Immigrants" or "Illegal Aliens" is not PC) temporary citizenship. I just wondered if it was all states or just South Carolina.
Yep! I picked up my Colt Defender about a month ago and the exact same thing happened to me. I don't know why it's any of their business what ethnicity I am or if I'm Hispanic or not. Most forms like these make that information optional. You have to present photo ID anyway and that should be all the info they need. Since I have a CCW they don't even run background checks. The FFL transfer is a federal form.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FFL transfer is a federal form.
That makes sense then. I didn't realize it was a federal form. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Pay attention guys. That question is just to the left of the ethnicity question. It'll sneak up on you. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Been that way in NY for a while.

I have several white friends from Africa and a couple of them check White and African American just to mess with them. One of the guys won a African American college fund when he showed up to get the check they wouldn't give it to him. True story I swear. I know some people will get all bothered by it but we just thought it was funny.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
What irritates me is that being hispanic or non-hispanic has become such a big deal.

Here in California the impression is that if you are hispanic you are somehow more important than people of any other ethnic background.

·
Registered
197 Posts
All because of what happened in Fla? Give me a fkn break, I hate all this crap. I am a AMERICAN! I don't see a box to check for that or Scottish, Irish, Russian, Australian, Greek, etc etc. Or how about European American or White American? I could have sworn we are all Americans, why separate us? They are always saying color and race doesn't matter and do desegregation in the schools (desegregation is a type of racism that is forced on us imo, that's for another topic). But yet if you are "hispanic" "asian" "whatever" you must check a box another box. Now if you are white you need to clarify. How racists is that? If this is the case and new to the forms, then they should do it if you checked black also. The way I and most people see it is skin color is not a race. So imo if you check black or white then you should check what race you would be next. What about the Black Asians or White Asians? What about the European Blacks? OMG!, what if you are 1/2 White and Black, Asian, hispanic, born in England and moved here and got your citizenship for America!? Now what do you do??? Heck for that matter they should not use the word "hispanic". How about puerto rican, mexican, cuban, Spaniard etc etc. If their "real reasoning" is they want to get a demographic of who buys, then its only fitting to ADD more paper work. And that's for ALL state and federal forms, not just for firearms.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Wait till you have to check the box gay or ungay.
So soon I will have to check a box that says I am a White ,non-hispanic, ungay, non isllamic person, with no current choice of religion or political affiliation,American with an actual birth certificate and proper Identification.:eek:

Private purchases are sounding better all of the time:cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I'm sure there is a gubbermint agenda there..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
327 Posts
So the problem here arises from a useless classification in the first place.
Hispanic is nether a race nor an ethnicity. So-called hispanics can be-

White: http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums...iam-levy-dancing-with-the-stars-2012-cast.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/217688/slide_217688_824201_small.jpg

Black: http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Los+Angeles+Angels+Anaheim+Photo+Day+Op_lG1NcCk9l.jpg
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Premiere+Screen+Gems+Christmas+Arrivals+4oAijQhvkufl.jpg

Native American: http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/110416/530wm/C0046204-Peruvian_Man-SPL.jpg

Or all types of mixes. The idea of a "hispanic" ethnicity is as rational as an Englic ethnicity made up of people from all races/nationalities who happen to speak English. Its totally stupid.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I noticed this Hispanic thingy on the forms of my last two handgun purchases. No big deal ... I keep looking for the box labeled "Irish." :D

Seriously, there was a time in this country (1800s) when the Irish were not considered white. Amazing how things change over time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
LGS at last purchase showed me the goofy stuff first then let me fill out the rest.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess we'll never know. Just another stupid question on a useless government-issue form. I especially love the one that asks if I'm a fugitive from the law. Hahaha! Yeah, I am. Is it still cool if I buy this AR and Tactical Shotty? LOL!

Stupidity.

·
The Original Magic Man
744 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Stone Mountain Georgia

1 - 20 of 52 Posts