Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious -- has anyone else here had problems with Armscor 95 gr. FMJ .380 ammo? I've been running my LCPII with different kinds of ammo (WWB and Underwood mostly) w/ absolutely no problems for 6 months and around 600 rounds. Yesterday bought a box of Armscor for range, had several FTFeeds, stovepipes, etc. with two different mags.
Reloaded with two different kinds of ammo (Hornady and Underwood) and the Ruger had no more problems through 30 more rounds. Same two mags.
Again -- I've never had even one issue with my LCPII since buying it. Is it just my gun that doesn't like Armscor ammo?

·
Registered
153 Posts
While not specifically using an LCPII, I found that Armscor 95 GR FMJ ran absolutely terrible in my Taurus TCP738. (Almost) Completely ruined a trip to the range for me when I brought along two boxes of it in .380

That TCP was generally reliable (although never perfect unless supremely clean). It choked almost every shot on the armscor however. Did not get through a single magazine without issues and in many cases it was every 2nd or 3rd shot. Failure to fully extract the round and feed the next one. Super annoying because the magazine wouldn't drop and you couldn't rack the pistol's slide either. Had to basically rip the magazine out with more force than I was comfortable with on a 10 oz pistol loaded hot. After half a box of that nonsense I gave up on the armscor and the TCP.

It caused me to pick up a Beretta Pico - which chewed up the remaining ammo in those two boxes without complaints*. (Don't mistake this for a full throated endorsement of the Pico, it had it's own problems feeding in other areas).

Speaking more broadly, I've also used armscor in 9mm, 45 and I believe .38 cal. It had always done it's job and was entirely unremarkable. Perhaps a bit dirty, but not so much worse than most other budget range ammo. I often find it is the cheapest brass cased ammo on the local store shelf so it is in the rotation frequently.

I imagine the problem is with these micro pistols as much as the ammo. Tiny, (relatively) cheap pistols with reputations for being finicky don't always pair best with rock bottom price ammo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response, AngryHippo. Glad to at least hear someone else had problems. I figured Winchester White Box flat-nose was cheap budget range ammo, and the LCPII has never had any issue w/ that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you for the response, AngryHippo. Glad to at least hear someone else had problems. I figured Winchester White Box flat-nose was cheap budget range ammo, and the LCPII has never had any issue w/ that.
Winchester White Box has a way worse reputation than it deserves. It has always served me right. It does run pretty dirty, though. If you ever get someone in a booth next to you running WWB hot and fast in a range with poor ventilation you'll definitely know it!

That armscor is *REALLY* cheap stuff. At some of the local stores it's 20-30% cheaper than anything else on the shelf. Way cheaper than the white box.

Again, it works great in my 'service caliber' pistols. Just a bit finicky in the micros .380

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used armscor 95gr .380 in a larger sized pistol like a Shield EZ .380, Walther PPK/S or PK380 or something along those lines - and what their experience was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts