Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some friends that live on the rough side of town, I go over there on my days off. There is a self serve car wash down the road and I often wash my truck there. One nite I was doing just that, when a young man asked me if I had change for a dollar? I told him no, then I hear someone behind me say are you sure? I turned and there was two more young men standing there. I told them yep I was sure, as I dropped the wand and open the truck door and puled out a sawed off double shot gun. They decided to leave but not before they gave me the finger and called me a bunch of names.
I had the better bluff that nite, as I didn't have any shells in the shot gun and none in the truck. I never figure I was going to have to carry close to home I had myt ccw at that time. But didn't carry that much, I did some but most times not.
I had a close call closer than I ever want it to be again. Ok so I am 6 foot 265 or so and I work at a prison. been in several hundred fights yea I am tough ok all that aside I know I can't take 3 young men. Super man I am not- life sucks when we find this out.
Lessons I learned well I don't wash my truck there late at nite any more. And I carry all the time, got one straped on now, I don't go to the mail box without a gun. Anymore its just not smart, least ways to me its not. I do nothing late at nite either, I can't get it durling day lite hours, or get it from walley world then I don't need it, it can wait until tomorrow.
I can remember a time when I didn't think like I do now, maybe its cause I am older now and not in the great shape I use to be in. I am still walking every morning rain or shine. I am feeling better, and have a long way to go before I get to where I want to be. But even then I am still going to carry.
If any of you have any stories to share here about you never know please share we can al take a lesson.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I liken carrying to car insurance... You just have no way of knowing you are going to be in an automobile accident when you leave the driveway. It's the same with carrying. There is just know way to know when trouble is going to come calling... and what good does it do to have the "monster cannon" tucked in the dresser drawer at the house, when you are having the trouble at the car wash? As Sheepdog's signature says, "Trouble never makes an appointment"...

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Like RNettles said, it is just good insurance. I always likened it to having a fire extinguisher in the house. Some folks who don't understand gun people like us will say "Why would you carry a gun, are you looking for trouble?" And I always say, "Just because you have a fire extinguisher in your house, do you want your house to catch fire?" Or "Because you have life insurance do you want to die?" Sometimes they get the point, sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It is gratifying to know that most of us now can carry legally for self protection and the
protection of our loved ones. Seems like society has forced us to revert back to "old west"
traditions of carrying to protect your life.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blume357, it was late at nite midnite to be exact there was one in front of me and two behind me. They wanted much more that change, Itold the one I didn't have any change. You can do what you want in that situation and take the chance of becoming the morning addition on the news.
I did what I felt I needed to do to save me, you weren't there I was.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I kind of think that, in addition to protecting yourself and your family, doesn't it seem almost equally likely that defense might be needed in a public, mall-like shooting? I don't think it's a coincidence that after the Virginia Tech shooting, the NRA shooting classes here are booked full as soon as they are scheduled, with people on the waiting list. As much as I see the need to be able to defend myself and family, I see the need for responsible, armed citizens to be peppered throughout the population to hopefully rise up and stop something like a sicko shooting up a mall or fast food restaurant or something, whether that citizen is immediately threatened or not (for example, near the door and could escape but decides instead to stick around and end the incident).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you ratgunner, EddieF it can sure happen these days.
I use to eat at Luddy's all the time, in Killeen Texas, and in 91 a friend and I almost went there to eat the day the crazy fool drove his truck into the place shot the place up. It took sometime but after that it didn't matter what the police chiefs inthis state wanted it was what the public as awhole wanted. Now I was only told the story that the Police Chiefs of the state didn't want citizens to be able to carry. How true that is I don't know, but we have the right to carry.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Snuffy, you did fine-had you given in and sheep-ishly given them their demanded change-they'd have had you pegged and taken you like a bear eats a bunny-you taught them that they might have picked the wrong one to bully or mug....bet they went to mowing yards for their change!!! Only thing I'd add is that BOTH sides of town are gettin' pretty rough!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
As ratgunner said...well done Snuffy! sheepdog had a "well done" situation in a restaurant situation...my hat is off to both Snuffy and sheepdog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well if you were at a self serve car wash more then likely there was a change machine or 2 somewhere close by.
I would agree that they wanted more than change for a dollar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts