Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps our members can chime in on this. A buddy is going down under to visit family, has been asked to bring a scope with him as prices here in Canada are much lower than Oz. NOW, here in Canada it is illegal due to US restrictions for a Canadian to import a scope among other things from the USA. I think it unwise to import anything like this from Canada into Oz, should just ship it UPS separate from his visit perhaps. What say you? What would the import limits be?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Are you selling it to him or giving it to him?

I would think (best guess here) that an outright gift
of any non explosive or gun would not be an issue.

If you are selling it to him, :eek:
TO ME, would create problems.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dont know about scopes. I have read where its illegal to export NV and thermals amoung other "military" hardware that we use as civilians here in the US. I cant recall what it was but i have something that came with a notice that it would be illegal to ship it outside the US, wish i could remember wth it was!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Frequently items that have import restrictions can be allowed with no problem if they are presented as a gift. No commerce is taking place when its a gift. Sometimes the items place of manufacture makes a difference too

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Wrap it up as a gift.
When they enquire, tell them it is glassware.....

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont know about scopes. I have read where its illegal to export NV and thermals amoung other "military" hardware that we use as civilians here in the US. I cant recall what it was but i have something that came with a notice that it would be illegal to ship it outside the US, wish i could remember wth it was!!
This sounds like the restrictions from homeland insecurity for almost any optics or ammunition including fired casings. Canada has no import restriction from US but if I get caught with so much as a single casing on US soil...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you selling it to him or giving it to him?

I would think (best guess here) that an outright gift
of any non explosive or gun would not be an issue.

If you are selling it to him, :eek:
TO ME, would create problems.
No money changing hands as I understand it, just helping a guy out.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrap it up as a gift.
When they enquire, tell them it is glassware.....
And no that is not a file...just a cake! Thanks for the thought James, hope you are top of the world, Down Under. Actually the buddy in question has been asked to bring a spotting scope with him when he visits, likely not much of a problem if you have a good camera to go alongside it. My understanding is the same glassware is triple the cost in Oz, therefore the request.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts