Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A San Francisco 49ers expert believes only a major disaster in the coming weeks can derail Jarryd Hayne's dreams of playing in the NFL.
The former Parramatta Eel has taken the US by storm after impressing pundits, teammates and fans alike with his "fearless" performance against the Houston Texans.
Playing as a running back and kick returner, Hayne, who led the team in rushing yards, went from longshot to "legitimate chance" to making the 49ers' 53-man roster for the upcoming season.
And talking to Today, Bay Area News Group reporter Cam Inman said he couldn't see how the 49ers could pass on a "playmaker" like Hayne.
"I think Jarryd Hayne makes this team," Inman said.
"I don’t see how they can cut him, unless things just fall apart here in the next two to three weeks.
"For a football team like the 49ers that were in the Super Bowl two, three years ago, they’ve gone through a lot of changes.
"They need playmakers … (and) I see a tremendous athlete that wants to make plays."
When asked what he liked about Hayne, Inman didn’t hesitate in lavishing the former Origin star with superlatives often reserved for established stars of the American game.
"You know what I see?" Inman asked.
"We saw in the first game he can make a defender miss and just keep going.
"He has a fearless style to him that you really need in the NFL.
"He's got the quickness, he's got the moves."
Hayne is again expected to feature when the 49ers play the Dallas Cowboys in the franchises' next pre-season game on August 23 (US time).
And Inman, who believes Hayne should focus honing his skills on special teams, said the game will give the 27-year-old Hayne another "chance to shine".
"We saw how well he came out in his debut performance in Houston and in a couple of days he's going to be at Levi Stadium and playing in front of the 49ers home crowd," Inman said.
"He was the second running back to go into the game last Saturday so he's probably not going to be the second this time.
"They're going to allow somebody else in that role and probably put Jarryd later in the game.
"And guess what? He's going to play against lower competition so he's probably going to get another chance to shine"

Hayne will make 49ers squad: NFL expert

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The games are different but in the end when he has the ball and is moving down field, they are the same. Run through the other team and get as far as he can get before being tackled. He is really good at that.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Hope he makes it to the final roster. With Harbaugh and most of their veterans leaving, this could be a long season for the 49ers and they need all the good news they can get.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Hayne looked pretty good tonight. He had a long punt return, and a couple other good ones. He didn't play a lot at Running Back, but did break a fairly long run.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
He did look good in that game. 27 is a little old to come in new as a running back, but he could certainly be a punt returner with some shots as a RB.

It's a ruthless business but I think if it comes down to 50/50 with another player then him being a big fan favorite might be the little edge. If he does make the team and they don't come up with a couple of plays where he passes it back to another player I'm going to be disappointed.

Now I have to find a Parramatta Eels t-shirt! :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
I played football and rugby in college. Football for my first two years, and then I played rugby after I transferred to a larger college who wanted me to walk on with no scholarship and play football. I had to work to finish out my last two years of school and somehow I ended up on the school's rugby club. Less demanding of my time so I could work and play rugby while still attending classes. I loved both sports.

I'm pulling for Hayne to make the roster. I think he could make the game very interesting for a team that needs any edge it can get this year. The coaches could work a little on running downfield with another player ready for a lateral from Hayne or vice-versa. A theme on the hook and ladder play.

And the drop kick is still a legal play in the NFL, which could add an interesting dimension to having Hayne running the ball downfield. Don't see it used any more, (I think Doug Flutie pulled one off as a fake punt several years ago, but my recollection may be wrong on that), but an experienced rugger could do a drop kick through the goal posts during a run if he had the space to work with. Could be a fun game to watch.

I'm hoping he makes it. He gave up a lot of money to try and play in the NFL, and you have to admire the guy for trying to prove himself in another sport by making a personal financial sacrifice to do so.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Disastrous first play but that's understandable.
He redeemed himself later with a few solid plays.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Hayne is in a bad situation with SF.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·