Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently modified my auto bolt released plate by grinding down the small spike on it to allow my bolt to close without using the bolt release tab thats located by the safety. when i pull the bolt back and use the bolt tab to keep it open, i then pull back on the bolt and it slams shut without releasing the bolt tab thats by the safety. i also installed an extended magazine release that is admittedly pretty cheap plastic. the problem is that when my bolt is in the open position i will go to change magazines, but when i depress the extended magazine release the bolt will move foward slightly and when i go to pull back on the bolt it will not slam shut like the modification intends it to. in fact the bolt release tab by the safety is even harder to work with and the magazines will not click into place. if i buy a premium extended magazine release, (like a volquartsen) will it allow me to change magazines with the bolt open and then close the bolt by just pulling back on it while still accepting magazines? please help!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check to make sure that you didn't leave any burrs on the bolt release and that it's not bent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input! there's not any burrs and it's definitely not bent. i'm thinking that it might be the magazine release since i tried putting in the stock one and when i worked the bolt the modification did not perform at all. i had to use the release tab to close the bolt and it was real fussy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put a Volquartsen bolt release and recoil buffer in mine and I also swapped out the magazine release and everything works as it should. If you could post a picture of your assembly, maybe we can figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately my rifle is outside of the metro area i live in and i cannot take pictures to aid in this dilemma. i'll buy a volquartsen extended magazine release and see if that does the trick. if i still have problems then i'll go with the volquartsen auto bolt release too. on your rifle, if you have the bolt open can you change mags and then "slingshot" the bolt closed without using the release tab? thats what im looking for here, i just want to know if yours works properly like this with the components you mentioned, thanks for any help you can lend me!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Odds are you didn't remove enough material from the hole or shape it quite right for flawless operation...

I had to redo mine several times as I kept trying to remove the minimal amount of material...which was dump on my part since I was using a milling machine...it was not like I had to file for ever by hand...so if tried to take the least amount out that would make it work initially...that is likely the problem...

Replacements are cheap...and if you buy an aftermarket it will probably work fine but that is speculation on my part since mine is the modified original I didn't try the aftermarkets...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I pulled up several pictures of aftermarket bolt releases and shaped mine until it looked exactly the same. It works flawlessly. I used a Dremel with a small cutter, then a small sandpaper roll.

·
Registered
184 Posts
on your rifle, if you have the bolt open can you change mags and then "slingshot" the bolt closed without using the release tab?
Yes, I can. It works with full or with empty magazines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts