Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the local Ford/Lincoln dealership recently to pick up a small "dealer only" part for my Escape, I took a quick spin through the show room and was shocked to see a $33,000 escape and a $58,000 F150 :eek:

The last brand new car that I purchased (and monthly car payment I had) was a 1994 T-Bird at about $14,500 IIRC. Everything since has been used (with typically 60,000 miles or less) and all purchased for cash. No more new cars in my future :D:.

What say you?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I know the feeling. The good news is that even lower-priced vehicles seem to be of decent quality these days if you shop around. My main beef with new cars is that they all look alike.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I sold automobiles from 2007-2014. It seems everyone wants more stuff on a car. This increases cost as well as federal mandates. My next car will be a mobile hot spot so my grandchildren can use electronics on long drives. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'm a GM retiree so I get the employee discount plus any allowances. I usually buy toward the end of the model year so the incentives are at their high point but you have to pay attention. We traded my wife's car this year and got $2K in incentive plus 0% financing and that was in May which was the best offered for that model.

As far as trucks go they are hot sellers this year with the lower fuel prices so don't expect much for deals. I plan to replace mine next year, a 1 ton long box diesel.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
While I was at the local Ford/Lincoln dealership recently to pick up a small "dealer only" part for my Escape, I took a quick spin through the show room and was shocked to see a $33,000 escape and a $58,000 F150 :eek:

The last brand new car that I purchased (and monthly car payment I had) was a 1994 T-Bird at about $14,500 IIRC. Everything since has been used (with typically 60,000 miles or less) and all purchased for cash. No more new cars in my future :D:.

What say you?
I own a 2000 Toyota Camry LE..It has 266,000 miles...runs like a champ...no rust..always maintained... will drive it till it dies! My wife, before her passing last year bought a 2012 Toyota Camry XLE...believe it or not....she paid almost the same price I did back in 2000!! $23,500! I will never buy a new car again...used ones certified by the dealership and manufacturer is the SMART way of b using cars/trucks.. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I sold automobiles from 2007-2014. It seems everyone wants more stuff on a car. This increases cost as well as federal mandates. My next car will be a mobile hot spot so my grandchildren can use electronics on long drives. Go figure.
The new car we just bought is a mobile hotspot but we didn't sign up for any extra minutes as we have the smart phones so a duplication of effort. There is a half inch thick manual just on the electronics goodies. We got navigation in addition to XM, hot spot, on star, ........

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
I know what you mean about sticker shock. I had a friend that I work with that was looking at new vehicles, he had a salesman bring a car by for him to look at. It was a cadillac escalade, fully, loaded with everything. It was nice, then I saw the sticker, $93, 000. Its not that nice. I said man I didn't pay that much for my house, and its brick, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths. Their is no way its worth 93k despite what ever it has or can do. We also have been looking at a replacement camaro for my other half. Hers got totalled by another driver in feburary. We bought a 2013 last year for $23k used with 6k miles. Well, everyone we have seen like that same mileage and condition now is 26k or 27k or more. So the searching continues. I will stick with my 98 accord with 285k miles, my gmc z71, and 5.0 mustang, they are all paid for. It would be nice, but I don't want a car payment thats more than my house payment.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Earlier this year I spent 2 months going back n forth with the dealership on a new Jeep to replace my 96 Bronco as a hunting rig.
I found the trick for me at least was to insist they order the one I wanted, not what they wanted to sell.
You'd have thought I was asking for the moon when I insisted they delete the power windows and all the other crap that just cause more headaches.
I still have trouble accepting the fact you can no longer get hubs on a Jeep or that you can't delete air conditioning from a Rubicon. Don't get me started on the idea that it's only rated to use S-class chains, you gotta be kidding.:mad:
They almost seemed offended when I expressed the theory that all the fancy crap wasn't going to be of much use to me putting around the ranch or out hunting.
I found I was able to save 5k plus by getting mostly only the options I needed.

They may say inflation isn't all that high but experience puts the lie to that.
Back in 03 I ordered an F350 the way I wanted it for about 45k, which I intend to own till I croak, so I was a bit shocked to have to spend 36k on a mostly stripped Jeep this year.

Come on folks I wanted a rig not an entertainment center.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
All that new stuff is nice until there's a glitch, and you take it to the dealer to fix, and they can't reproduce the problem, and you do that four times and nothing gets fixed. The more electronic gizmos they put in cars, the more problems they have.

Does anyone still make just a solid, plain car with crank windows and mechanical steering, transmission, suspension, and engine controls?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just bought a truck for the wife on Tue.
The less features the better for us.
She's Chevy, I'm Ford. We compromised and got an 07 Dodge Ram 4x4, quad cab, long bed, 5.7 liter Hemi.
No bells or whistles.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
All that new stuff is nice until there's a glitch, and you take it to the dealer to fix, and they can't reproduce the problem, and you do that four times and nothing gets fixed. The more electronic gizmos they put in cars, the more problems they have.

Does anyone still make just a solid, plain car with crank windows and mechanical steering, transmission, suspension, and engine controls?
You may have better luck importing one of those from the Russian's now days.;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
846 Posts

YUGO used to make one! LOL

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I will never be able to afford a new car the way prices are now.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I bought my Nissan Frontier new in 2006 for $24k. The new ones now with the same or comparable options goes for $36k! The price of everything has just gone up.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would really like to have one more new truck before I get to old to care. All that electronic crap to me is a waste. I don't use it or need it. If I want to know where to go in a strange place I break out a road Atlas. I don't want heated seats, satellite radio, Bluetooth or all that electronics that costs a lot and gives me little.

I want good reliable long lasting transportation to get me around the woods and mountains and able to haul a big load of firewood without tearing something pretty off.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
It is ridiculous.... 0% financing helped with our new Nissan Altima 2015 though, and still over $20K. All we wanted was air conditioning, aluminium wheels, and dual his/her environment controls as 'extras'. But we found we couldn't 'pick and choose', so ended up with a ton of extra junk that plainly isn't necessary to get the few features we wanted. Key fobs instead of keys :rolleyes: .... backup camera :rolleyes: , satellite radio :rolleyes: , tire sensors :( ... Well you get the picture.... Big whoop.... And all of it is just extra cost and more to go wrong.... I guess there are people that like this stuff...

Our base model 2005 Cobolt has manual windows (still works fine too) . No hassle around town, back and forth to work vehicle.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Naw...
I want it all. I want it all now.

A backup camera is now a requirement since I got my new Explorer.
Power liftgate
Keyless entry and starting
Tire sensors
Bluetooth phone through the console
Power windows because I'm convinced you pay extra somewhere else for them to slow the line to put manual windows in
Outside temp and compass
Nav
Bluetooth sync with phone to play my music
Dual temps

Gimme :D

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Car and especially truck prices have gone up to unbelievable prices. Fully loaded 1/2 ton trucks are selling for what you'd pay for a small house in a small town. I bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota truck (2 seater, manual drive) back then for I think around $12,900 brand spanking new. I replaced that truck with my current one, a 2007 that has four dour and a V8 engine for around $19,500 new. That was only 7 years ago. They discontinued the Dakota but similar trucks today sells/starts at 25-$30,000+ new. I'm keeping mine for as long as I can.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
My last cost more than I planned to spend.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts