Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a few autos, namely two CZ's, one in 9, one in .40........thinking of putting them both on the chopping block to fund two projects......I will be keeping my P89 and P944, just for my Ruger "collection".

The projects are-

A Match Champion rechambered to 9mm-.38 Super......

And, if Clements is still taking work, a 10mm GP100......that also of course shoots .40.

I'll be putting the Match Champion on layaway, while I sock away money for the conversion.

As for the 10mm conversion, I'm debating converting a GP I already have or getting a new 4" stainless for this project........I have a 4" stainless .357 GP that I bought new, but I'm so "used" to it being a .357 I don't think I want to mess with it. Clements also says they do fixed sight conversions and will add the proper front sight, so thinking of maybe buying a new 3" GP for this.........getting another Match Champion for the 10mm also crossed my mind. I don't think a 6" GP would be "right" for this since I would also want to carry it.

0 interest in anything by S&W.

The Taurus 905 and 405 are not options I would even want to chance.

I happen to love "auto" calibers, especially 9mm, .45 and recently developed a fondness for .40. However, I do not love auto chuckers. Recently got a .45 ACP Vaquero Birdshead, want a .45 ACP Redhawk, and have a 9mm Blackhawk on the way to my dealer, but want a 9mm DA. I also want a Ruger .40 revolver but realized there is a "hole" here, none are offered besides rare 38-40 - .40 convertible Vaqueros. No 10mm DA's from Ruger.

If I can fill these "holes" in my collection I'll be a happy shooter, and since 9, .40 and .45 are so easily available, I'll always be able to find something to shoot. I have my fill (for now) of .38 and .357 revolvers, more than I can really shoot. Adding the 9mm-.38 Super and 10mm GP will give me two revolvers that will last forever, that I can shoot multiple calibers out of for mainly pure range fun, maybe some competition use and HD/CC in the winter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
^^^ I don't consider my semi-autos "obsolete" but I agree that, now that I have what I need for carry, I can focus on more fun additions: revolvers and bolt rifles in my case. Your projects sound like fun and I look forward to hearing more about them...with pictures. :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need some more "fun" in my life, just joined a new range, going through a toxic soul-draining divorce........semi-autos have always been "tools" for me, I want guns that are both "tools" and fun to own and shoot.

If I ever have the need for a slide gun my P89 and 944 will be there, with my little Beretta Bobcats in .22 and .25 there for "light duty" carry........other than an NAA .380 Guardian there's not a single auto chucker I would want right now. My want for a Mark III "standard model" faded when I got my .22 SP101.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Sound like some fun projects/conversions. I like firing auto rounds through revolvers (i.e. 9mm in double and single action revolvers).

Let us know how it pans out.

Just don't sell anything you'll regret in a few months or years... saving may be the ticket. ;) :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have been thinking recently about a 9mm conversion for a GP100 also.

My Taurus 905 has been stellar(get it?). You recently bought a couple Taurus 85s. The 905 is an 85 chambered in 9mm, Im sure you knew that. Its certainly not a GP100 though... but for a small, concealable snub, its a great one. A lady friend of mine recently asked for advice on a snub purchase for concealment. I recommended a stainless 905 to her, she took my advice, bought just that, and she couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked into the 905's, they look neat and are for the moment still in production.

I remember when the .40 .405's came out and they were EVERYwhere, my local gun shop had like 10 of them in blue for $350, I probably missed the boat, everyone who has one seems to love it, Taurus dropped them and they rarely turn up used. That gun shop sold them out pretty quick, it's a "conundrum", people loved the idea of a .40 revolver for CC, people bought them in bunches and then Taurus is like "Hey let's drop it....."

My goals for these projects is to have more "range friendly" guns and not defensive snubs, plus the Rugers will allow me to do what the Taurus' won't, and that's run LOTS of rounds through them without loosening up. I just don't think a Taurus 905 or 405 will last me a decade or more of heavy use, since I can get bags of 1,000 9 and .40 reloads for relatively low prices.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
Sound like some fun projects/conversions. I like firing auto rounds through revolvers (i.e. 9mm in double and single action revolvers).

Let us know how it pans out.

Just don't sell anything you'll regret in a few months or years... saving may be the ticket. ;) :)
+1
Just keep in mind that we currently have a thread on changing gun buying trends.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looking forward to following your projects mate.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I love my revolvers...but...I also love my semi autos. In fact I love all my guns!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer I was talking to wanted my S&W 581 and $250 for the new TALO 6" GP100, I declined, I'll keep looking......

I'll have to use my upcoming days off to really go through my guns and see which can be traded or sold to get one or both of the new GP's I need and then get started getting them ready to ship out for the "wait" to begin, for the work to be done on them......

I realized I have SO many guns in .38 and .357, a lot of them are dust magnets and I want two solid guns that I'll actually use often, not a gun I bought 10 years ago that I've put 50 rounds through lol What the eye opener was, is that my favorites, like my .45 ACP Vaquero, .38 Special 3" GP (1541), and a couple others, already have seen more use this summer than some guns I've owned since 2008.......

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've pretty much lost interest in most of my semiauto handguns. Not all of them, but at least half are collecting dust these days.

However, I know that I can be fickle sometimes and my tastes ebb and flow. I've learned the hard way to not to do any safe cleaning on a grand scale. If I wait long enough my interest in whatever was on the chopping block will usually resurrect itself. I know this from painful experience and a longing for guns I got rid of only to wish I had them back. Unless space is at a premium or you need the cash to fund new projects I recommend you hang on to as much of your current collection as possible. If it's a good idea to sell/trade it today it will still be a good idea a few months from now or even a year down the road.

Good luck with your decisions and I'm looking forward to pics of the new projects.

·
Registered
638 Posts
However, I know that I can be fickle sometimes and my tastes ebb and flow. I've learned the hard to not to do any safe cleaning on a grand scale. If I wait long enough my interest in whatever was on the chopping block will usually resurrect itself. I know this from painful experience and a longing for guns I got rid of only to wish I had them back. Unless space is at a premium or you need the cash to fund new projects I recommend you hang on to as much of your current collection as possible. If it's a good idea to sell/trade it today it will still be a good idea a few months from now or even a year down the road.
Absolutely.

I have pretty much quit selling guns to fund others. My "favorites" have evolved back and forth over the years. It sometimes takes 5 years or more. After buying my second or third exact duplicate of something that I didn't "like" just a few years prior, I vowed to stop doing that.

I keep both revolvers and pistols in the safe. I also carry both depending on my desire or need.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was kind of "brainstorming" at work today, and was kicking around the idea of maybe using a like-new GP100 I already have, shown in the pic below, for the .38 Super - 9mm Para cylinder conversion........and then possibly going with a Match Champion for the 10mm conversion.......the GP100 I already have is a good candidate, since it's tight, has a nice action, and if the XS sights don't hit to POA with the conversion I can change them out easily. This is a gun that I've hardly fired since I got it in 2012 and it's pretty much new. I'll have to think about it, but also I won't have to sell anything to get a new gun, I'll actually USE this one as a .38 Super - 9mm, rather than it probably continuing to sit around if it remains a .357, and I already know it's a good one. I also already have 3 other virtually identical 4" stainless GP100's both in .38 and .357.

That is good advice to hold on to what you got, looking through my collection I do have a lot of "duplicates", both among the same maker and also several guns that are similiar i.e. like went I went on a fixed sight GP100 buying spree and now have about 7 of them, and then decided a S&W 581 "looked cool" and then that 581 just sat for 6 years......I have to decide if a gun that's going to be largely unused is worth holding on to or going to help fund something I'll have way more fun with, and no one can really go wrong turning unused S&W's into GP100's.

A recent example is the two Smiths I traded even across for my .45 ACP Vaquero that I fell in love with instantly, could never have afforded to drop the cash straight up for the Vaquero and wouldn't have one if it weren't for the trade, this got me started on the idea of turning some "impulse buys" into awesome guns.
I also traded a S&W 15-7 that I bought just because I was watching Adam-12 on Netflix while surfing GunBroker and found a cheaper S&W 15, so I impulsively bought it, and after I received it from my dealer I was like "why did I buy this thing......" I have to control my impulse buying too I guess:)

What helped me decide this, maybe 4 months ago, was I fired some of my Smiths and some of my Rugers side by side at the range and the Smiths performed no better than the Rugers, and most of my Smiths are holster worn trade-ins that will never be "collectible". I'm trying to streamline my collection just to have more of a focus, rather than bunches of range beaters laying around. Lord knows I have enough "shooter grade" Service Sixes but those aren't going anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I sold all of my semi autos except for my HK45T. I also sold all of my S&W revolvers. I have two GP100s left. I have a .357 LCR and a SIG P229 also but those are issued pieces.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
ExArmy11b. Keep us informed as time goes on. I also have been considering a 9mm GP100 cylinder conversion. I think its an excellent idea. I have 2 snub 9mm revolvers and have always wanted a 4" or 6" 9mm revolver

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Revolvers are obsolete in my collection. I have a Nagant revolver and a single action FIE 22lr/22mag that I inherited from my dad and grandpa, but that's it. The only revolver I want at the moment is a 6" barrel Model 29 Smith, but it's way down on the list.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have been selling my semi autos to fund more revolvers. I will keep a few favorites but still have about 20 that I plan to sell. I went from revolvers to semi autos and am now back to revolvers as my favorite handguns

1 - 19 of 19 Posts