Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked this one a year back. Woman thought she would save some time and take a back FM road to save a few miles. This Brangus cow was in the road. Fortunatley nobody was injured. She had 3 small children in the pickup with her. 1st time i've seen a cow land in the back end of the pickup. Wanted to call it aggie cattle rustlin'. Note the broken back glass where the leg went in. Seems the impact created a scoop affect for her to fly on over instead of thru the windshield.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd say she had angels' protection for the children-could have killed them all-hope the owner of the cow stepped up.....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Hey, I know first hand about running into cows! Several years ago on a rainy night (and from where I lived, ya had to take the back road, it was the ONLY road!) I was going to work, and it was very low visibility, I ran my S-10 into a stinking cow standing right in the middle of the road. I was only about a mile from my house, so I managed to limp my truck on back and swap vehicles, and was not even late for work. Tore my hood, radiator, and fan/water pump up. Knocked the cow dead over in the ditch. The guy that owned the cow's insurance did pay for my damage.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I hit one like that with a Chev. Caprice and totaled it out while taking my Grandson home a few years ago. By the time I got the Highway Patrol there, a Farmer was dragging the cow off with a John Deere tractor, and he told the Patrol he didn't know who the cow belonged to. The Patrolman also notice that one ear was cut off. Unless it is branded or tagged no one owns them. You just can't see a dark colored cow on a blacktop road at night.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
That's just waaaay too close for comfort. I'm surprised that thing didn't end up in the cab.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

I hit one like that with a Chev. Caprice and totaled it out while taking my Grandson home a few years ago. By the time I got the Highway Patrol there, a Farmer was dragging the cow off with a John Deere tractor, and he told the Patrol he didn't know who the cow belonged to. The Patrolman also notice that one ear was cut off. Unless it is branded or tagged no one owns them. You just can't see a dark colored cow on a blacktop road at night.
I would not of let the farmer touch/move the cow until a police report was made. I am sure the ear was recently cut off too!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

I would not of let the farmer touch/move the cow until a police report was made. I am sure the ear was recently cut off too!
Had to leave the cow to go to the nearest house to call the Highway Patrol. When I got back the cow was gone and the Highway found the Farmer with her about 1/8 th of a mile from the accident dragging her off.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here in this part of Ill. there arent a lot of farmers raising cattle unless theyre big feedlots, so you dont get many cows out on the roads anymore. But we make up for it in deer hits, even on the main highways and they sure make a mess of a vehicle. Hardly a week goes by without one or two, and in the rut and hunting season as many as five or six is common. Good thing that lady had that roo catcher on or it would have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The same in VA - we have not much of cattle but lotsa deer. Almost every day can see at least one dead on a shoulder. :(

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Calvin, I'da followed that bastard around with a sign till he paid up...you're too nice....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
He got his dues. He got busted for drugs bigtime and is in prison now. Lost Farm, Cattle, Equip. and everything. Had everything mortgaged though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've spent a many a night getting a many a cow off the road in rural Va. I was fortunate not to ever have worked an accident involving one..

·
Banned
298 Posts
Where I spent the last six years the roads are clogged with cattle, deer, and elk every night. In addition to skunks, muskrats, etc. I only hit a couple muskrats, but once stopped within about 36 inches of a stupid deer. A buddy has his truck totaled by an elk with poor timing that charged from the shoulder into his passenger door while he was going about 65. Damndest thing I ever seen.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That lady and her children were very lucky. Although some cattle in nearby counties I haven't seen one loose for years. We do have a lot of deer even in the built up areas of Ky. My brother-law hit a large buck a few years ago and most of it's body came through the windshield and almost killed him. It cut him up pretty bad and totaled his truck.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes sir, Texas Farm Bureau does have specific insurance for such.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts