Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sheepdog says"Seems to me, Americans are waking up, remembering who we are, and saying "Enough is ENOUGH!!!"

Related To Story

Video: Handgun Permit Applications Rise

Gun Permit Applications Rise Since Westroads Shooting
Douglas County Deputy Notes More Applications For Handguns

POSTED: 8:34 am CST December 18, 2007
UPDATED: 9:09 am CST December 18, 2007

OMAHA, Neb. -- Applications for permits to buy handguns have more than doubled in Douglas County since the Westroads Mall shootings.

More than 100 applications have gone through the sheriff's office since the shootings.

After the nine deaths at Von Maur, people spoke repeatedly of the shock, fear and helplessness that they felt. The sentiment appeared in KETV.com's forum about the shootings." One poster wrote on Dec. 8: "I went out shopping yesterday for the first time since this happened. I visited four stores and I have to say it was a very daunting task. I was so nervous."

Some residents may be responding to their fear, filling out handgun permits and signing up for target practice.

"What we're seeing now is people wanting to defend themselves, be able to defend themselves," said Douglas County Chief Deputy Marty Bilek.

Bilek said his department issued 43 certifications in the week before the shootings -- in the week following, they issued 105.

"This is the largest spike we've ever seen," Bilek said.

Interest in concealed-carry permits is also up, though not as much, Douglas County reported.

The National Safety Council Omaha Chapter said it had canceled several training courses the last few months, but not in December.

"People are always concerned. They're just sad that it happened in Omaha, and I think they always want to know what they can do to help," said National Safety Council Omaha Chapter President Kay Farrell.

Some law enforcement officers said they are concerned, noting that people should have the right to own handguns, but those people also need to understand the risks and liabilities involved.

Bilek said that's why deputies heavily screen those who want a permit.

"For people who have sound judgment, and for people who have the proper training," Bilek said.

While permits to buy handguns may be up in Douglas County, they're not necessarily up elsewhere. Sarpy County, for example, said it has seen a small increase in permits issued, but they said it always goes up during the holidays because some people want to buy guns as gifts.
Copyright 2007 by KETV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Glad people are waking up. It is just a shame something like that has to happen for people to take notice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The part obout "Deputies heavily screen those who want a permit" is somewhat troubling. My worry is if the Deputies just don't like your looks they can turn you down. I would prefer a higher standard than that if a standard other than the 2nd amendment is to be applied.

And what standard is used for this test: ""For people who have sound judgment, and for people who have the proper training," Bilek said."

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yeah I don't understand how the pass out permits. So you have to have a permit there just to buy a handgun? Or are these permits for CCW?

I'm glad more people are wanting them though.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TOF--come to Texas---we got room for guys that think like you...and wimmen to die for!!!
p.s. We're a "shall issue" state!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yep there is room for ya here. Not all the females are that great some have hiden troubles just like any other state. But we like to pack guns here for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I lived in the communist city of Chicago for many years. You can't even buy ammo without a card. Now I live in Pittsburgh. It's a shall issue state and I carry when ever legal. I'll never live another state that is not at least shall issue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.