Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, like I said 10 days ago, we went on a hunting trip for wild pigs to the Ardèche in the south of France. After a trip of about 1.000 km the weather was nice and clear. We hunted with a bunch of +/- 15 men and the first day we already managed to shoot 4 swines of 50 to 90 kg. (Sorry folks, I live in Belgium and we are not using miles and pounds. Nevertheless it's the spirit that counts!).
The next day I shot my beaty: one clean shot of the 30.30 Marlin, one 150 gr. Winchester Silvertip going in behind the frontleg just at the underside of the shoulder. That's the place: the greatest probability to hit the heart. After the shot, the swine sprinted for about 10 meters, then fell down. The meat goes always to the local butchershops altough we keep a part for ourselves. Nothing is lost. We stayed till Sunday the 14th. And now: I hear my boss calling: "Back to work!!".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hunting European wild boar is quite fascinating. A friend of mine is a hunter in Germany and has leased about 400 acres to hunt.

I went with him on a hunt and he got a little one, 50 kg, that's 110 lbs. He shot it with a Steyr 30/06 through the shoulder and pieced the heart. The beast took of and ran for about 250 feet, leaving a trail of blood like poured from a watering can!

My friend is an M.D. and did a "post mortem" forensic procedure, the heart was really pierced! A week before he had shot an old sow of about twice the weight with a 7x57R and it dropped on the spot.

Once the boar fever gets you, you will be a boar hunter for life. So Bingo, when will you go again?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone and Andyd in perticular. The next time will be from 15 till 25 of November. We have in France a vacation-home since about ten years. It's in the middle of huge forests of oak, chestnut and pine. These wild swines eat the chestnuts and everything they find under the ground. They are real digging-machines. Often the "garden" is totally turned over by them. There are way to many. In nighttime we can hear them raor. On the other hand, I have very much respect for them. A sensitive nose in a body so strong.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Sounds like a great time. Congratulations on your successful hunt.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Glad you had a good time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts