Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to be be quite a bit into shooting, both BP and modern stuff. I purchased a Ruger Old Army in Stainless way back in the summer of 1976 and shot it awful lot for a few years along with my modern firearms and other BP. Then I don't know why but I stopped, I know its been more then 25 years since I went shooting because I have not gone since my daughter was born. I think its been 30 years since I shot the OA, I have been shooting my TC Hawkins a few times over the last 6 months along with modern stuff.

I am going all out this weekend :)

I found my OA (I actually had to look for it as I didn't know where it was, we moved a few times over the years, I was lucky to find the nipples that had been stored separate) and all the toys to go with it. I still have powder and caps and will try them, they were stored in dry garage all these years. I found my powder horn for my TC Hawkins but I seem to have lost my powder flask that I used for my OA. I know the OA manual says 20 gr. of FFF but I remember "modifying" my flask to change the output. I seem to remember my original flask was a 30gr flask that I cut down to dump less for accuracy. All the flasks on the market are 24gr. I assume that will work just fine.

Are there any recommendations on a good flask for the OA ? I am guessing any of them around 24gr's will work great.

Also what is the consensus on loading, I always had just dumped the powder right from the flask into the cylinder AFTER of course checking to make sure it was safe but it seems that nowdays the recommendation is to measure out the powder into something else first and them loading the cylinder.

Found all my lead and melting some lead for balls and conicals as I type. Then going to see if I can buy some powder locally in case my old powder fails me, I need all 3, FF for my hawkins, I shot all my old FF a few months ago with no issue now I need more, FFF for my OA and FFFF for my flintlock. Already reloaded 450 rounds for the 9mm and still have to do some .357mag reloads. Lots of shooting this weekend and I hope to be back permanently into it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Mike,
It is always best to measure all loads when you are shooting BP guns. Take a look on the website Dixie Gun Works and you will be able to find almost anything you need to get yourself back into shooting. If you need any help, I will be happy to help anyway I can. Ray

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey Mike - Ray is my "go-to-guy" for anything related to black powder so pick his brain when you need to. Great guy with a ton of experience in BP rifles and handguns.

Wave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts