Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased some hand guns in the middle of last year, the background check took about 1/2 hour to clear.

I purchased a 10/22 takedown on January 9th hoping to take it to the range. However Gander Mountain said the checks are running a little long. They said they'll call me when the results come back.

Well, it's now January 17th and I'm still waiting. I called GM to see if I missed their call. They checked and said the results still aren't back yet.

I'm in Wisconsin. Are background checks taking this long everywhere?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Looks like the libs are getting their 10 day waiting period the hard way...... by increasing demand.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought a gun on 12/21/12 - the backgound took till the next morning. Prior to that about 15 minutes tops during 2012.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,323 Posts
Mine today in Oregon was instant. The clerk entered the information and pushed the enter key. It came back cleared instantly.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Virginia is still running fast. Background checks here take anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending on demand that day. At least here you walk out of the store with your gun the same day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought tuesday and it was pretty much instant. He called gave info and within seconds he hung up and said your good to go.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I was delayed for a few days for most of the year but the last four firearms I've walked out with in five minutes.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Takes 10 days in CA. I've heard of some delays, but my last few purchases have gone smoothly. I just have to wait a fricking week and a half....

·
Registered
552 Posts
In Md. there is a mandatory 8 day wait for handguns and rifles with collapsable stocks. My buddy has been waiting over 25 days for background check. For rifles with regular wood or standard stocks it took only few minutes for my ok for my mini 14. The long wait is the reason I chose a wood stock mini and not the much more dangerous black ATI tactical stock mini14. Didnt want to wait a month.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I just purchased a 22 pistol yesterday and it took 5 mins to call it in and get it cleared. But here in Illinois its 3 day waiting period for handguns and a 1 day waiting period for rifles. I just have to wait until this Saturday to pick it up now.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I've read several places here that the "background checks" take half an hour. Here in NY whenever I've bought a gun, the check took all of about 4 or 5 minutes, if that. Why so long for you guys?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The long wait in Maryland for regulared firearms, ie. handguns and rifles with folding stocks is due to an overwhelming amount of firearms being puchased. The mandatory 8 day wait its not long enough for the state police to conduct their checks.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
We got a Sig SP2022 on 12/22/12 & it was 10 min for paperwork after 3/4 hour in line to get to the computer at Cabela's.(Missouri) That was after 3/4 hour in line to get to the gun counter. It was packed all day there!
Tomorrow we pick up 2 Sig P238's. Hopefully it won't be bad as we want to hit the range after a quick clean, lube & inspect.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I've read several places here that the "background checks" take half an hour. Here in NY whenever I've bought a gun, the check took all of about 4 or 5 minutes, if that. Why so long for you guys?
We had to fill out extra address cards so you could send us your mags over 7 rounds:D Seriously, we need another 15 rounder for our Sig SP2022(9mm).

·
Registered
210 Posts
It only took a couple of minutes last week, the counter man called, gave the info and said it was good to go.

Perhaps you need to go back to Gander and have them call directly, it should only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Virginia is still running fast. Background checks here take anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending on demand that day. At least here you walk out of the store with your gun the same day.

I'm in Virginia (Thank God and the U.S. Navy) because I have a very rare last name, my checks have always come back in 5-10 minutes. Just bought an SR22 on Tuesday and cleared in 5-10 minutes....now I need to find some mags for it

·
Registered
261 Posts
Colorado asked for $455,000 to help speed up background check because of the long wait times but the "powers that be" denied the money. I guess we, as a state just can't afford it OR the Libs in charge won't raise a finger to help...Not sure what the exact reason is, they didn't say. So we have gone from 1/2 hr to (from last I heard a week or so ago) 10 days.
Darrell

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Takes 10 days in CA. I've heard of some delays, but my last few purchases have gone smoothly. I just have to wait a fricking week and a half....
This 10 day waiting period and limit of one handgun per 30 days might be helpful in hindsight, otherwise I would probably bought several more guns in the past month (whether I can afford them or not). :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts