Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a big believer in redundancy where practical/possible; as I’m building my collection of firearms for plinking/competitive shooting & SHTF I’ve tried to have at least 2 firearms capable of utilizing the ammo in my safe.

I just acquired my first Mini-14 (the basic wood stock/blued Ranch Rifle) and am now accumulating inventory of .223/5.56NATO (not the best timing, but it is what it is). As a result I am now looking for a complimentary firearm that like the Mini, can utilize both rounds. Given the current political climate, I’m looking hard at bolt action options, but it seems Ruger does not make a bolt-action that Is chambered for both .223 & 5.56 … :(

I’ve done a little research on-line and have found one gun that seems to fit the bill; the Mossberg MVP Predator. Does anyone here have any experience with the MVP series &/or other recommendations that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!
SSSSteve

PS – I’ve also considered the thought that a 2nd Mini might be my best bet, maybe a Synthetic Stock/SS model to go wiht my 2 10/22's and the SR9 & SR9c in my safe

·
Registered
658 Posts
The only thing Scuba Steve needs is a bath and a mickyDs serving breakfast til 11...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my two cents but I think you need a Gunsite Scout Rifle
I'd love one, but that means I'd have 2 guns in the safe without a "backup" and would alse need to add inventory of another caliber...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'd love one, but that means I'd have 2 guns in the safe without a "backup" and would alse need to add inventory of another caliber...
I'm in the market for a Mossberg MVP as well, but I'm waiting for the craziness to die down. GSR is my backup gun for now and yeah, I had to buy some 308 ammo.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
You could always pick up a Mini 30. It will pack a little more punch and 7.62X 39 is not to hard to find.The
3 0 8 is expensive and heavy to carry a lot of ammo around.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You could check the Gallery of Guns web site for 223 rifles. It will cut the list down if you only want available rifles. Unfortunately they don't always show if they are 5.56 compatible.

I was intrigued by some of the single shot 223 rifles. Hey, they are cheaper and would serve as a back up tool.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Two Mini's are good, many do that way. Some have two Mini's and an AR-15 or a Mini-14 and an AR-15.

Savaage as an example makes a .223 bolt, good price, good rifle.

Tough time to buy this ammo! Remember, aside from sparce shelves some people have back orders on websites.

Mini-14 inventories at some point will catch up.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Savage makes a nice bolt action gun partially like a 110 action but with more of a solid top receiver & clip fed. Cal Ranch has them for about $369.00 & it also comes with a 3-9 looks like a Tasco Scope the scope comes mounted on the rifle. For that price take the scope off get a nicer one and put the Tasco on a .22!' I have been also thinking of a 2nd rifle for my .223/5.56 ammo also!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

As much as I “want” a Gunsite Scout Rifle and like the idea of another Mini in a different caliber (7.62x39), I think I’m going to stick with another 223/5.56 as my “backup”; here’s why:

Most shots I’ll ever need to make are < 150yds & at that distance my Mini-14 will provide more than enough punch (against anything but a hardened target) if I can just manage “decent” shot placement (say 6” circle). The flat trajectory of the 223/5.56 should allow that if I have the rifle sighted at that distance; as well as any shot in-between.

The 7.62x39 does have an advantage in terms of “punch” of about 10%, but the advantage drops rapidly out past 175yds and “in-between” the “arcing” trajectory makes accurate placement highly questionable.

The 308’s (7.62x51) punch is the clear winner (at any distance) of the 3 rounds, but like the 7.62x39 it has an “arcing” trajectory that requires significant adjustments in sighting throughout the bullet’s path; plus it’s nearly 2x as much per round in “normal” conditions.​
So my plan is to sight in my Mini-14 at say, 100-125 yds with the iron sights and the backup sighted at say 250 yds (be it another Mini, an MVP, a CZ527 or a firearm TBD) with a variable power scope..

Any thoughts, comments, mocking &/or jeering regarding my current plan??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Why have the rifles sighted at 2 different ranges?

Keep things simple. In a crises your mind can play tricks on you.

223 is fairly flat shooting anyway; its the wind that may bedevil you.

Well anyway practice at both distances.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why have the rifles sighted at 2 different ranges? .... 223 is fairly flat shooting anyway.... Well anyway practice at both distances.
I am sure I'm overthinking it, but my 2 main reasons were:
1-I’m planning on just Iron sights on the Mini & I figure I can’t consistently make shots longer than 175yds given my astigmatism (I’m assuming the worst case and I don’t have my glasses)
2-With the “backup” scoped and zeroed at 250yds; it becomes my go to rifle in situations where I anticipate longer shots and yet because of that flat trajectory, I’ll only shoot a couple of inches high inside of 250yds and at worst a couple of inches low out to the 3-350 range (which I think is realistically longer than any shot I’ll be trying to take with a .223/5.56)​
If I scope both rifles, I think I’d sight them both in at 175-200 yds…

Either way, I plan to practice, practice, practice with both, at a variety of distances!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What the heck?? I couldn't help but chuckle at reply, but where's this coming from?? Am I missing something?
I think it's a reference to an Adam Sandler movie (can't remember the Title) where his son bathes with a Scuba Steve action figure and another scene where he goes berzerk because they can't get breakfast at McD's because it's after 11am

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts