Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 elderly folks heading home last night collided with a ground squirrel....the couple was pronounced dead at the scene and the squirrel hopped off to it's lair uninjured

http://[URL=http://s258.photobucket.com/user/oposbob/media/11988761_10207209208249185_8969758706487578952_n.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Just proves, a smart car isn't! :D

·
Banned
365 Posts
Those smart cars remind me of a comment a friend made about them:

"That thing looks like the illegitimate child of a sardine can and a skateboard having an affair.":D:eek:

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Does anyone else have a *very strong* impulse to just walk over and push them over, or is it just me?

The mere sight of one just annoys the heck out of me...

Strangely enough, Mini Coopers and Fiat 500s do not have the same effect to me...even though my dipwad brother-in-law drives a Cooper...I can't even find it in myself to hate them by association...

Aqualung

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks, I needed a laugh!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I need to re-think my CA Ground Squirrel Caliber!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
hate to say this... but i've seen at least 4 different SmartCars run through red lights. like, just WOW! really?

maybe like me, those guys have been married so long - they dont bother looking both ways before they cross a highway.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Does anyone else have a *very strong* impulse to just walk over and push them over, or is it just me?
I think it would be more fun to get some help from friends and pick it up and hide it from the owner. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My last car was a 509hp Mustang GT convertible with $28,000 worth of non-factory, added equipment.
My current car is a lot more fun and gets a lot more comments.

Don't knock it until you have driven one. 3 of the 6 people that drove my car ended up leasing one of their own, as does the cop who owns the gun range I go to. I've had mine for over 2 years and put 21,000 trouble free, gas free, oil change free miles on it.
I don't feel bad if it irritates you...

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My last car was a 509hp Mustang GT convertible with $28,000 worth of non-factory, added equipment.

Don't knock it until you have driven one. 3 of the 6 people that drove my car ended up leasing one of their own, as does the cop who owns the gun range I go to. I've had mine for over 2 years and put 21,000 trouble free, gas free, oil change free miles on it.

Don't feel bad at all..I' would not have one as I'm way too big to fit...I see them in SoCal on the freeways and I have a fear when one get's hit..My 3/4 ton big block 4wd Suburban is about where my comfort level is on the freeways but then again I only drive a few thousand miles a year...what I've seen is similar to many of the high speed Motorcycles in traffic where it's "zip here and zip there" and a smart car might be an issue then....If I were 25 years old and weighed half of what I weigh now it might be fun but I think I'd like a bit more steel around me than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts

The mere sight of one just annoys the heck out of me...

Strangely enough, Mini Coopers and Fiat 500s do not have the same effect to me...even though my dipwad brother-in-law drives a Cooper...I can't even find it in myself to hate them by association...

Aqualung

If you've ever seen the movie, The Italian Job, either the original or the great remake, you'll never put Smart Cars in the same category as the Cooper Mini. Trust me, the Mini is not another save-the-planet car.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
If you've ever seen the movie, The Italian Job, either the original or the great remake, you'll never put Smart Cars in the same category as the Cooper Mini. Trust me, the Mini is not another save-the-planet car.
I do love that film. Maybe that's why I give the Cooper a pass...

Aqualung

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I saw a crash test of the a SmartCar versus a concrete barrier - and with modern engineering and airbags etc - the result was that both driver and passenger would most likely survive - provided your not overly fond of your legs.

Of course in a head on with a car three or ten times your mass it might not be so good.

Many people thought the Fiero was unsafe due to its plastic body panels - but the frame was designed using engineering from race cars and had the highest safety rating in its class - on the other hand I am not sure what other cars were in its class - so again very safe except perhaps in cases of small car vs much larger heavier car.

I don't recall which year(s) but the Corvette is interesting in that it had the highest font end collision safety ratings for the driver - but only mid-level for the passenger. Not that I study crash test data - but the Corvette was the only one that stood out as having a big gap between driver and passenger ratings.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts

Meant no offense to you as an owner.

I think some of my prejudice against them is that (like some hybrid drivers) the drivers are very pretentious about their vehicle choice and believe that anyone who has something other than what they drive is somehow beneath them.

In fact I give drivers of them some props for having the cojones to drive one in busy traffic and highways...

Aqualung

·
Registered
964 Posts
Here's a rather extreme Smart car... It has a Suzuki turbo Hayabusa engine, and a power-to-weight ratio that is somewhere on the far side of insane.

Smart muscle car

·
Registered
964 Posts
[Hmmm... I don't think I double posted, but... Ignore this posting]

·
Pony Soldier
8,748 Posts
A friend of mine hit a deer with his Smart car going 55mph.
The deer bounced off and ran away, the SC suffered a cracked turn signal and scuffed paint.
I suspect neither had enough mass to damage the other!!

Greg

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think it would be more fun to get some help from friends and pick it up and hide it from the owner. :D
When I was in high school a bunch of us delinquents did just that with a Biology teacher's Crosley. We hid it between the school building and some spruce trees that had branches all the way to the ground. They found it the next school day in front of the art classroom windows. We hid it pretty good.
Never got caught.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw a crash test of the a SmartCar versus a concrete barrier - and with modern engineering and airbags etc - the result was that both driver and passenger would most likely survive - provided your not overly fond of your legs.

Of course in a head on with a car three or ten times your mass it might not be so good.

Many people thought the Fiero was unsafe due to its plastic body panels - but the frame was designed using engineering from race cars and had the highest safety rating in its class - on the other hand I am not sure what other cars were in its class - so again very safe except perhaps in cases of small car vs much larger heavier car.

I don't recall which year(s) but the Corvette is interesting in that it had the highest font end collision safety ratings for the driver - but only mid-level for the passenger. Not that I study crash test data - but the Corvette was the only one that stood out as having a big gap between driver and passenger ratings.

And thats the thing about crash tests and 'Five Star Frontal' ratings. If you actually read the sticker, it will tell you that it is for impacts with vehicles of the same size/weight.

When a vehicle runs into a concrete barrier (basically immovable object for the purposes of the test) in the crash test, they are essentially reflecting their energy back into themselves. So, a Smart car receives Smart Car crash energy, a Suburban receives Suburban crash energy.

So, if you are in a Smart car and hit another vehicle head-on, it's not likely going to pan out like the 5 star ratings might make you think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts