Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I went to the range this morning with my gp100 and had an ok session.. Later in the evening as I was cleaning my weapon I noticed two issues. First I noticed that my ejector rod had some "slop", meaning it was kinda loose. Its a little hard to explain but if my clyinder is shut the rod moves about a 1/4 inch or so.. I noticed that when I dry fire the rod outside of the cylinder was dancing around. Inside the barrel, the star on the ejector rod seems to be fine. I did not notice any issues at the range, my gun seemed fine. I also noticed that I had a piece of steel burr that got snagged on my cleaning rag near the knuckle or swivel of the barrel inside of the gun frame. I had to file this down.. The weapon is about 3 years old. Its a .357 gp100 6" stainless steel.. I wonder if it just wear and tear, but Ive always heard that gp100 are built like tanks.. What do y'all think??

·
Registered
114 Posts
The ejector rod on most GP's are a little loose but if it has excessive play you should call ruger and see if they would rather you send it in.

Yay another 6" GP owner gotta love that 3lb revolver getting the best ballistics out of EVERY round that passes through it ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
The burr is normal. I have had it on a few of the DA Rugers I have bought. Nothing a file won't take care of. I would say the ejector rod is normal as well. I have noticed a bit of play in all mine when I dry fire the gun as well.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,000 Posts
SorenityNow, GP-100s, SP-101s and Super Redhawks are designed totally different than a S&W revolver or even a Ruger Security-Six. These guns have "screw in" ejector rods and must be kept screwed in tight or the cylinder latch won't release.

If you swing your GP-100 cylinder assembly out, you can see the front latch that locks the yoke into the frame when the cylinder assembly is closed. The ejector rod is secured in the cylinder assembly by the front latch going through a slot in the ejector rod. This is a loose fit by design. Yes, it wobbles a little and may even rattle a bit but this is the way the revolver was designed. BTW, this design is much stronger than a S&W and will never loosen and bind the cylinder latch. As Martha says ... "it's a good thing".

As for the burr ... it's not uncommon to see burrs in Rugers ... they don't always clean up their act when they machine parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is some great input.. Thank guys. I did notice a big diff between the Smith and Ruger ejector rods. I just thought id ask. Its nice to know its still in goood shape

1 - 5 of 5 Posts