Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have already heard this, my apologies for restating the obvious. I just learned today that Ruger discontinued ALL decock-only and ALL double action only P-series pistols. I tried to order a KP345 decocker model and my dealer called every distributor he uses but to no avail. He heard repeatedly that the P345 decocker was discontinued. I didn't buy this story so I called Ruger. Not only did they confirm it but they said ALL models with decockers and double action only mechanisms had been discontinued and there was no remaining stock. All gone. Crap. According to a number of distributors this was done due to liability. It technically had one less safety I suppose. Ruger said it was due to lack of sales.[:0] I think its another example of political correctness as a form of liability protection. You better get your P95's before they put a key lock in that one! I'd be willing to bet that is coming.:(

·
Registered
210 Posts
I already had a KP95PR, but sunday went to a Gun Show and a dealer had a KP95DPR for $329.00, I could not pass it up. I glad I bought it. Pops

·
Registered
34 Posts
That just sux. The decockers are my favs. I have a standard P85 and must remember to return it to fire before holstering, not that big a deal I guess, but it's just one more way you could get in trouble. Putting it off safety on the draw is not an option. My favorite is my KP90DC, though, so I do have a decocker at least.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just have to wonder is it:
lack of sales driving this?
liability?
hard times causing streamlining?
Bad managment?
Smart managment?

Just how many models/variations/calibers have been discontinued in the past 2 yrs vs. new ones introduced? i have no idea but the stats would possibly be interesting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a KP97DC for a few years now. I got lucky and bought it right before they quit making them. I saw the "writing on the wall" and bought a KP95DC last year because I was afraid they would either drop it or add an internal lock. I got mine after they changed the frame finish and added a rail (two changes I liked). I wanted one more decocker, this time in a P345 but, alas, there are none to have.:(

·
Banned
298 Posts
Hmm. I was thinking about trading in my P97. Guess I won't now.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a P90 at the show this weekend.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That really stinks of 'political correctness' from Ruger. I only own decock semi autos....period. I guess my days of buying new Ruger's are over. Very sad indeed:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
quote: I've had a KP97DC for a few years now. I got lucky and bought it right before they quit making them.
Same here. I had no idea it be discontinued when I bought it. One of the rare few times that I had good timing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hell, they don't have a big variety of handgun offerings in the first place! WTF? I mean, I love the hanguns, tough as nails, always work. But, where's the pocket sized 9, the .380, anything for the CCW market? Doesn't seem to bother Taurus to make a HUGE variety and try new models which sometimes flop. Look at "the Judge" odd as heck, but not a flop, they're sold out and can't make 'em fast enough. I really don't know why, but someone in Taurus marketing knew something I don't. Heck, they've got as much or more variety than Smith and Wesson!

You'd think if Ruger really wanted to sell more handguns, they'd be aggressively chasing the CCW market. That is where a LOT of guns are being sold by other brands. All Ruger has is the rather porky SP101. Now, I like my SP101, but it's a heavy beast and my M85UL Taurus .38 totes a lot lighter in a pocket. The SP101 is too heavy to be a pocket revolver, though I think it's the perfect size for a .357 compact. But, that's ALL Ruger has for the CCW market! Oh, yeah, I can carry my P90 in my Milt Sparks Summer Special, but I'm talkin' about stuff like the 14 ounce Kel Tec P11 I really like, or Kahrs or G26s, or really easy to carry 9s that disappear on your person and carry all day long. I sold my P95 back when I could only get 10 round mags for it. I had the Kel Tec and just figured why carry a 10 round gun that weighs 28 ounces and is almost as big as my P90 when I can carry a 14 ounce 10 round gun that fits in a pocket? I traded that gun for the M85UL Taurus .38 revolver.

Ruger really needs some market research, a marketing department maybe, someone with their ear to the industry trends. They were a day late and a dollar short with the P85 back when the military was testing for the new M9. They just don't seem to be an aggressive marketing company and want to cover their legal butts and do the PC liberal thing. Sickening. I love my Rugers, but they do have problems with the company.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went through the same thing about a month ago. I ended up buying the KP345DPR range demo gun. Field stripped it, cleaned a years worth of use out of it and it looks like new, and shoots great.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's good that you got one. I am wondering how many were actually made. In addition to Ruffwood, who else here was able to get one?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
You see it happening everywhere. Automobiles, Appliances, Homes and a lot of things. With the modern technology that we have available, new products of any kind should be better than the older ones previously made, but they aren't. A combination of, Gov. Regulations, Mfg.s and Resellers not wanting the products to last a lifetime where they can sell more, and workers not taking pride in workmanship, has caused the quality of products to continually get worse. Example: The first riding lawnmower I bought lasted 20 years without any major repairs, the second one only lasted 10 years. My third will probably last about five. [V]

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
That really does suck! The only P Series safety model I have is a KP345PR. The rest are decockers. Always figured I'd run on to a new decocker and swap it or just buy the decocker. Have to start hitting the pawn shops I guess.:(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I no longer am interested in Smith and Wessons due to the PC lock and such. Well, really, I'd get one if they still had K frames, but oh, well. The only one they have that still interests me is the 642, neat little pocket revolver and half way affordable. I just hope Ruger doesn't follow down the same path and, if it does, used Rugers don't do what K frame Smiths have, sky rocket in price. Now, I guess since I own six Ruger hsndguns, it'd make my collection more valuable, but I didn't buy the things to collect, I bought 'em to shoot!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You may want to check on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com for the
KP345 decocker. I've noticed both sites usually have firearms listed for a small window of time that have been discontinued by their respective manufacturers (i.e. Ruger PC4s, PC9s, Taurus Raging Bulls in .218 bee, .22 hornet) -- that particular model should be easier to find. I wish you go luck in your search for one though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts