Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as some of you know I sent my GP100 to Gemini for a little work, 3" barrel, slab side, etc, etc.

So I'm wanting to get some Badger grips for her and need your opinions, Boot, Sport or Full-sized.

Which one is best for both looks and function, I'm leaning towards Buckeye Maple with a tung oil finish to go with the hard-chromed finish on the Gemini improved GP100.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I prefer the smallest grip that still provides full three finger contact so I’d go with the sport grip. I have a long but narrow hand and that sport grip looks the perfect size for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the sport grip. Top right photo there. There’s a guy on YouTube that has a GP I think with those on there. Good video

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well Grip questions get to be like herding cats , no straight line answers.
First off , what is the gun for . Range shooting ? Carry ? Concealed carry ? Different uses , different needs.
Badger makes a nice grip for the money but none of mine get carried . They are pretty and shiny but usually quite thick and bulky feeling. And finger grooves , Ya gotta like finger grooves to be happy with Badger. Some of those options are bigger than the gun and your build seems to be aiming at a smaller gun ?
For that gun few ever seem to look at the factory compact rubber dude. Its shorter than the standard and takes the SP 101 panels.
Here is a comparison with both on 3" GPs

Get the rubber affordably from Altamont and use any panels you like.
O Yeah, they hide well and are comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Needsmostuff
Thanks for the pictures, never had an issue with the stock grips on my GP, on my SP yes as with 357 you might get some second finger bite.
I will be using this GP as a carry & concealed carry gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,844 Posts
I really like the Badger boot grip and have them on several GP100s. They happen to fit my hand very well and I think the shorter length balances the look of the shorter barrel (I have them on 3" barreled GP100s). The smooth surface doesn't grab on clothing if you carry under a shirt and I feel they are reasonably compact. It's a full size revolver so it's never going to be the most discreet option for concealment. I've tried both the full size and compact Lett style rubber grip with the wood inserts and just never became a fan. Personal preference, others seem to like them.

I even have them on my SRH Alaskan in 44 Mag.

So the Badger boot grip gets my vote for your short barrel GP100 project.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Of the 3 choices given, I would probably go for the Sport size. I just personally have never been able to bond with the Badger grips, the grip angle just isn't right for me, slanted too far back. But of course that is just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I spoke with Dave at Badger grips, nice guy and we discussed a pair of Sport grips with the bottoms rounded somewhere between the Full and the Boot grips.
We discussed Birdseye and he said he was expecting some nice pieces in the future.
So went with the custom Sport grips in Bocote wood, and will order a pair in Boot style when Dave gets the Birdseye Maple in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently traded into this gun, which had new Badger boot grips for concealment.
They are handsome, but don't fit my hand well and the arthritic joint at the base of my thumb was getting beaten up pretty badly. I wear XXL gloves, so my hand size might be a factor. The factory Hogue rubber grips fit my hand better and have solved the problem.
I don't need a concealable gun, so no impact on my intended use to go back to the bigger Hogues.

GP100 R by Bruce, on Flickr

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow-what service ordered these custom Sport grips in Bocote wood from David at Badger Grips 4 days ago.
I must say unlike some others, these grips seem to be a natural pointer fo me putting my trigger finger and the rest of my hand right where it needs to be.
Dave custom rounded the bottom of the Sport grips somewhere between Full & Boot grips so they would print less.
All I can say is amazing service and attention to detail, they fit the GP100 and me like a glove.
These Badger grips will be going on the Gemini GP when it returns unless Dave gets some nice Birdseye maple in, then who knows.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
The last two badger grips I bought for my Rugers were much too loose. With the screw tightened and the locator pin perfectly centered, the revolvers would move back and forth inside the grip when lightly shaken back and forth. Both a GP100 and an SP101 didn't fit inside the Badger grips.

I cannot recommend badger grips anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
American1776 Did you call or email David at Badger? No issues with mine, however, had a buddy that didn't get the year right and had issues with them being loose. Make sure and pay attention to the serial numbers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts