Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Super Blackhawk(SB) was dropped off by a co-work today, the sin is it has been setting in a barn for 12 yrs. The major sin is that the barn has been under water 8-10 times in the last 12yrs. The gun took a bath in motor oil to free it up(by co-worker) it now is free. While he was sleeping one night his wife decided to "clean" it for him.She did a swell job using a SOS pad an a Brillo pad. He was mad, but the gun had seen better days before she got a hold of it. Gun wears a SS# of 81-67xxx putting it at a 1976. the gun also has on the barrel "Made in 200Th year of American liberty". I have looked over the gun(I'm not a gunsmith at all) and it is mechanical sound, bore brite, every think looks an sound good. I have a SB that I bought new in 1984 to compare it to. The main problem I can see is that the cylinder is not locking up. The Gate detent spring is not doing its job. There is also a cylinder latch spring and plunger that is just flat gone. No rust residue or little pieces in the housing. That I found when I took it apart. I have never messed with that part of the gun before but it looks pretty start forward. Any tips or tricks to help me with it would be helpful.

There is one more think that has me wondering the cylinder end has numbers scribed in it. Best I can teel they Dont match the SS#. I looked on "mine" an it does not have numbers on it. Did somebody "index" the cylinder(a lot of work just to let the gun rust away) Or in it a convertible 44mag/44-40. When did Ruger stop making those.

That is alot of info/problems but I'm sure someone knows about it. The gun will be CHECKED out buy a GUNSMITH before it get to go boom!!!

Thanks for your time PLEASE help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I inherited a 1960's era Ruger Standard .22 that was also left in a barn for well over a decade inside a pistol rug. Well you can imagine the rust spots all over it. I sent it back to Ruger for a factory reblue & tune up. They had it back to me in a few weeks and it looked brand new. I would recommend doing just that with your revolver.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a 'Liberty' BH in .357 with the last three digits of the serial scribed on the front of the cylinder...It is under the blue, and I knew the original owner, so I firmly believe it is 'factory'...

I also have a 1990 SBH with the last three digits on the front of the cylinder...I am the original owner, and was present when the shipping box was opened at my FFL...

Neither is a 'convertible'...

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Can you post some pics?
You talking to me, or the OP?

Either way, I will gladly post pics tomorrow...

It may not be cock-crow, as I have to bring in a load of wood...

ADDING:

I just looked at both guns, and I was going from memory...The 'Liberty' does have the last 3 digits on the front of the cylinder, but the SBH only has the last two...Swore it had the last 3, and sorry for the erroneous info...

Off to bed now, but I will post pics at some point tomorrow...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to post pics but I can barely turn on this computer. Going to a 5 bird shot tomorrow and I will ask one of the young guys how to do it. What about the 44=40/44 mag. think . When did Ruger quit making them?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My Single Six has the SN on both cylinders and it's about a '76 gun it that matters.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The best I could do on my way out the door...

My .44 Mag SBH:

And my 'Liberty' .357 Mag...I never noticed the number '9' at twelve o'clock till I took this pic:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I inherited a 1960's era Ruger Standard .22 that was also left in a barn for well over a decade inside a pistol rug. Well you can imagine the rust spots all over it. I sent it back to Ruger for a factory reblue & tune up. They had it back to me in a few weeks and it looked brand new. I would recommend doing just that with your revolver.
Triple that...let Ruger 'enjoy' restoring one of their own...and you can relax and enjoy it when it comes back! Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts