Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys what size ball do you use in an old Army??

I know what the book says, but are there other options

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ruger Old Army needs .457" round ball. Mine barely shaves a bit of lead off. A .454" may work, but if it doesn't shave lead i wouldn't want to use it for a few reasons.

1) It may not seal the chamber well enough allowing for a crossfire to happen if you don't use a wad or grease over the ball.
2) It may not sit snugly enough and creep off of the powder from the recoil, which can bulge or rupture the chamber.
3) It would have an even smaller surface to grip the riflings.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Not being a Black Powder shooter, My mind jumped the tracks when I saw your question. I was trying to decide if I would use a measuring tape or calipers to determine my response.

Thanks to rodwha for directing the issue to the proper realm, before I embarrassed myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/QNot being a Black Powder shooter, My mind jumped the tracks when I saw your question. I was trying to decide if I would use a measuring tape or calipers to determine my response.UOTE]

use the calipers ( the ones with the pointy ends) and tell use true..

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I do use .454 RNFP conicals
where to you buy them and what weight?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
This is the 1st and only time I shot this gun .
:confused: ???? Looks like you should have had lots of fun with that! Good shoot'n revolver there!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have some of Kaido's 240 and 255 grn RNFP custom conicals. He had Lee customize their 45 Colt 255 grn RNFP mold to have smaller bands as the traditional conicals do.
They load straight and give a good bit of recoil over a RB. They also penetrate much better than either.
They aren't cheap though. He does sell molds...
Here's a fellow comparing them:

Ruger Old Army Powder Projectile Test Part 6 - YouTube

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Lee Double Cavity mold with which I cast .457 round balls from my supply of pure lead. My ROA is so accurate with these round balls, I see no reason to change.
I shoot 25 grains of FFFG in my pistol and it is the most accurate handgun in my arsenal.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I was surprised that you had not chimed in, I thought you may have missed it cause it's in the Black Powder forum:D
The title has been just sitting there.... taunting me...taunting.....LOL :D
So I'm just going to roll with it for now. LOLOLOL :D
Buck, I want brownie points for behaving myself. ;)
and...I think this thread needs some sort of poll to accompany it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.