Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to keep busy during the days, I've added baking to my list of activities.

I recently found a great wheat-free and easy recipe for dog cookies that my pup seems to enjoy quite a bit. (Though he also seems to enjoy cat poop too, so I have to take his enthusiasm with a grain of salt.) And the other day I tried my hand at homemade ravioli. Turned out pretty well but there's always room for improvement.

While making a batch of dog cookies yesterday, my wife was sniffing around the kitchen; saying how good they smelled. When they came out of the oven, we both tried one and they are quite tasty. Not as sweet as I like in a cookie, but I see why my boy likes them.

And what do I get for slaving over a hot oven all day? A request from the dear wife for a batch of oatmeal-raisin cookies. So it is off to the kitchen I go to hook that girl up. I estimate at least 90 percent of the finished product will be eaten by me, but that's not the worst thing in the world, is it?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Trying to keep busy during the days, I've added baking to my list of activities.

I recently found a great wheat-free and easy recipe for dog cookies that my pup seems to enjoy quite a bit. (Though he also seems to enjoy cat poop too, so I have to take his enthusiasm with a grain of salt.) And the other day I tried my hand at homemade ravioli. Turned out pretty well but there's always room for improvement.

While making a batch of dog cookies yesterday, my wife was sniffing around the kitchen; saying how good they smelled. When they came out of the oven, we both tried one and they are quite tasty. Not as sweet as I like in a cookie, but I see why my boy likes them.

And what do I get for slaving over a hot oven all day? A request from the dear wife for a batch of oatmeal-raisin cookies. So it is off to the kitchen I go to hook that girl up. I estimate at least 90 percent of the finished product will be eaten by me, but that's not the worst thing in the world, is it?
I'd be appreciative if you shared your dog cookie recipe with me ...

·
Exchequer
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be appreciative if you shared your dog cookie recipe with me ...
Sure.

1 1/2 cup flour (buckwheat and/or coconut flour)
1/2 cup peanut creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
a pinch of kosher salt -just a tiny pinch (optional)
1/4 teaspoon of almond extract (optional)

Blend all ingredients well to form a dough - kind of like the consistency of Play Doh. Roll into a ball, cover with saran wrap in the bowl, and put in the refrigerator for an hour.

When the dough is ready, take it out and halve it. Lightly flour your rolling surface and use a rolling pin to roll out dough to about a quarter-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter or similar to cut out cookies. Any leftover dough goes back into the bowl and is blended into the other half. Repeat with the leftover dough until you have none left.

I'd advise lining your cookie sheets with parchment paper if you can. If not, no worries.

Put the uncooked cookies on the baking sheet(s) and put in an oven that has been pre-heated to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the cookies over. Bake another 15 mins and then turn the oven off but leave the cookies in there for another 30 minutes. You can leave the oven door slightly ajar if you want.

After 30 minutes, take the cookies out and let them cool and dry for at least another hour. The goal here is to make sure the cookies get nice and dry. That way, they won't get moldy or icky if you store them for a long time. Also, don't store them in a completely air-tight container. I use some of those food grade desiccant packs that came in my dog's store bought treats.

I can't believe I'm sharing recipes on a gun forum! I feel so Martha Stewartish. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go check my quiche. :rolleyes:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
Michael’s been a good boy....

I’ve been spending a good bit of time in the kitchen myself. I’m planning to put together a big pan of lasagne later using the sauce I made Sunday. But I’m more like Bigfoot in the kitchen.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
a decade ago, I used to make Scottish-style shortbread. Decided it is time to do this again, so I bought unsalted butter tonight. Probably bake over the weekend.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just love home made oat-meal and raisin cookies. I have found the best way to enjoy them is to spread about a 1/4 inch of real butter on the flat side with a glass of cold milk. But I have been known to eat them with beer also.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I just love home made oat-meal and raisin cookies. I have found the best way to enjoy them is to spread about a 1/4 inch of real butter on the flat side with a glass of cold milk. But I have been known to eat them with beer also.
you are like my wife ... it's an on going debate in our house. She has been known to put butter on a slice of pumpkin bread or banana bread, I tell her you are taking something sweet and turning it into something savory ... she then just ignores me ...

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
I've got to say, I've cooked a lot more through this then I normally do. I've also used my smoker a lot more. With Mission BBQ closed down I had to do something. I've also experimented a lot with baking- some recipes get minor changes some major- like changing my orange juice cake to an apple-cinnamon-funfetti cake to amuse the 4 year old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A Vet affirmed what I knew. DO NOT feed your pets any of your human food. She deals day in and out with diabetes, cancer and other people diseases!!! Get it?

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,669 Posts
At least the dear wife, like mine, puts up with our gun-buying habits :D

I spend a good bit of time dehydrating liver and other bits for our 300 pounds of Livestock dogs. Happily, I'm friends with a local butcher. The pair of Anatolians go through about 100 lb of kibble monthly and 10 pounds of treats, but beware, varmints! I am not out there with my Marlin rifle at night, but "The White Fangs of Death" are. We find the skulls of critters from time to time, back along the fence-line. Not lost a chicken yet to any raccoons, possums, or gray foxes.

As for barefoot in the kitchen? No way. Too many fragments of broken martini glasses in there, from my little "mistakes" when cleaning up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts