Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it doesn't really matter but is there a correct way to attach the barrel band in regards to the screw? Does the screw head go to the right or left? I've always put them on the right. Does anyone really care?:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I always put the head of the screw on the right side. (threads on the left)

That's how I like it lol... I don't think it matters though...

Are you left-handed by any chance? I'm a righty...

·
Registered
873 Posts
This question kept me up for too many sleepless nights so I replaced the stock with a barrel band-less one :D

For the hundreds of you wondering, I too am a southpaw.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I tend to take the barrel band off completely. It really serves no purpose unless used for a sling swivel. I have also heard that the fact the band touches the barrel affects the harmonics which in turn affects accuracy. Im not smart enough to know what all that means but I know that people "free float" their barrel for accuracy purposes. This is very off topic of your actual question but in my humble opinion take it off and never look back.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I tent to take the barrel band off completely. It really serves no purpose unless used for a sling swivel. I have also heard that the fact the band touches the barrel affects the harmonics which in turn affects accuracy. Im not smart enough to know what all that means but I know that people "free float" their barrel for accuracy purposes. This is very off topic of your actual question but in my humble opinion take it off and never look back.
When I had the factory stock on it, I didn't do that just because it made it look ugly in my eyes. I'll never shoot an ugly gun. Never. Unless, it's free. :p

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
When I had the factory stock on it, I didn't do that just because it made it look ugly in my eyes. I'll never shoot an ugly gun. Never. Unless, it's free. :p
Thats funny I feel the exact opposite. I dont care for the look with it on.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tent to take the barrel band off completely. It really serves no purpose unless used for a sling swivel. I have also heard that the fact the band touches the barrel affects the harmonics which in turn affects accuracy. Im not smart enough to know what all that means but I know that people "free float" their barrel for accuracy purposes. This is very off topic of your actual question but in my humble opinion take it off and never look back.
I think it would look weird without it but do understand floating the barrel. I have several vintage 10/22s and want them to look as they should. I have one 10/22 that I want to build as accurate as possible and will free float that one. Also just taking the band off doesn't mean the barrel is free floating.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats funny I feel the exact opposite. I dont care for the look with it on.
I have a Charger that I made into a Mare's leg with a cutdown rifle stock and cut the front off just behind the barrel band. With a little sanding it looks right and balanced.

I also have an International stock on one and wonder how it effects the accuracy.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I think it would look weird without it but do understand floating the barrel. I have several vintage 10/22s and want them to look as they should. I have one 10/22 that I want to build as accurate as possible and will free float that one. Also just taking the band off doesn't mean the barrel is free floating.
I agree removing the barrel band does not free float the barrel as it is still in contact with the stock. I was simply using it as evidence as to why the barrel band may inhibit accuracy. But realistically any noticeable differences in accuracy would probably not be noticed by taking the band off. On another note in stock pictures of a 10/22 i believe the screw enters from the left side.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree removing the barrel band does not free float the barrel as it is still in contact with the stock. I was simply using it as evidence as to why the barrel band may inhibit accuracy. But realistically any noticeable differences in accuracy would probably not be noticed by taking the band off. On another note in stock pictures of a 10/22 i believe the screw enters from the left side.
My NIB 10/22 came that way also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts