Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is a topic that has been discussed, and a lot different opinions formed. I would like anyone to report your experience with it. Have you tried both the break in and non break in, and what were the results on both long and short guns? Nothing like information that is tried instead of what someone thinks or reads somewhere. One reason I'm asking is that I've never broke in a barrel and read the pros and cons but never tried it. I'm going to try it on my P90.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,118 Posts
KP97DC, With the modern metals now used in hand guns, there really isn't such a thing as break-in anymore. With the older guns where softer steel was used, a shoot 10 & clean, shoot 10 & clean, etc for 50 rounds was the norm. Some folks still like to do a break-in regimen. It doesn't hurt a thing but it doesn't seem to help either. Your P-90 barrel will be "broke in" after 50 rounds and should last for 10s of thousands of rounds.

Modern rifles are pretty much the same, however, bench rest shooters still do the break-in routine. Most will shoot 2 rounds and clean, 3 rounds and clean, shoot 5 rounds and clean, then 10 rounds and clean. After a box of 20, the bore is broke in. I seriously doubt there is any difference in bore condition or life expectancy if you were to shoot all 20 rounds before cleaning. What ever method you use, make sure the cycle rate is not more than 1 round per 10 minutes.

The secret to barrel longevity is to clean the bore after each shooting session no matter what kind of gun you are shooting.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Iowegan. I was just curious to see what those that had tried it thought. Same thing is with cars. The old one's were recommended to be driven slower, but the new one's are driven like regular every day driving.

·
Registered
155 Posts
KP97DC, I'm in Iowegans "corner" on this one also. There are two major issues that cause barrels to wear when a speeding bullet travels down the bore, whatever their metal make-up. "Heat" and "Friction". These will "vary" according to the bullet types and loads. Therefore the "wear" will vary. What wears barrels out for the most part? Firing of course. I have found that there are many things involved in how "accurate" any specific firearm is at any given time. I have seen the point-of- impact change drastically in some handguns and rifles that are "new" in as few as 50 shots! Most of them usually due to parts movement and alignment (breach bolts, sights, etc.) and then go right back to where they originally were. I recently had this happen in my own "favorite" 10-22 when I missed a squirrel that I usually hit at this "short" distance. I found my scope "off" by three inches between squirrels! I have never been a "proponent" of "shooting in" barrels. Not even in Varmint rifles. My advice is to do your "normal" shooting and let parts and barrels settle where they will. Why contribute to any premature wear by shooting paper targets!..................Dick

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I broke my barrels in today. :) I agree with Iowegan and Bowhunter, but today I had to take the lawnmower out to the Ranch and mow the lawn around the Camping Trailer. It was such a nice day, I though, I'll just break in my barrels after I get through mowing. I took my cleaning supplies and favorite beverages with me. After mowing I put my cleaning supplies, cold drinks, and the KP97DC and KP90DC on a table under a shade tree. I put some Gatorade bottles on the ground 15 yards out and sat in a lawn chair and would shoot one round out of each gun,and put solvent in and let it set 5 minute while I had a drink or two and then wire brush the bore and clean with patches. After each cleaning I would shoot double action at the Gatorade bottles. Shot under a couple of times at first but then hit every time. After 5 shots, I did a couple of double taps, with double first and then single and then clean. My final analysis. I didn't waste any ammo or excessive wear on the guns because I was target practicing. Two benefits I arrived from it was that the Barrels were shinier than when I started and I was a better shot. Did it help? I don't know. Would I do it again? Yes, it was fun.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So let me understand this...we should tell Guntotin' Granny you was up at the Ranch drinkin' and shootin' up the place when you went up there to be mowin'....have I got that right?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheepdog, Granny was at school working, trying to make enough for me to buy another gun, and what she don't know won't hurt her (or me). ;)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got an upcoming decision to make. Tell me what you think. I have two KP97DC's that have been flawless since I got them. One is my CCW. One had a hanging double action trigger pull but that has been fixed. I have bought a new KP90DC that is just broke in and it is flawless. My current P97 CCW and the P90 both has excellent triggers for the Ruger P's. Now the decision. I have ordered a holster for the P90 and will have it about Christmas. Also it should be Engraved by then. Which gun would you carry if it was you? I can shoot them the same and so far they function the same.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,118 Posts
KP97DC, As you may have read before ... I'm not a huge fan of Ruger P-guns. However, I do think the P-90 is the most accurate and most reliable pistol Ruger has ever made. If I liked the SA/DA action, I wouldn't hesitate using a P-90 as a carry gun.

·
Count Ursunk
3,363 Posts
one round in 10 minutes....that must be my problem. i cant set the sight on my sbh 5.5... i keep fiddlin with the adj. screw and it gets worse.i need a little advice on the time i need to wait between firing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As it was explained to me by some old timers. Before heat treating was used the barrels needed to be slowly heated by firing them and then allowed a cool down period. Slowly working your way up to a hotter temperature. Helped to keep the barrels from having stress fractures and also helped keep the rifeling from reaching an elastic state and deforming. But im pretty sure that now adays most manufacturers heat treat there barrels for safety and longevity. So a break in period may not be necesary with modern heat treated materials but im sure it couldnt hurt anything.

·
Count Ursunk
3,363 Posts
i have generally been a shotgun hunter. i was about the only child in my family that cared about hunting and fishing.i have brought home so many squrrels in my game bag at the end of the day,i just finally cut the legs off after i skinned it and brought the bloody mess to mom to cook for me.she did,even though i saw it was not the main meal,i was determined to eat my bounty. it was purdy dogone good,pellets and all.i was about 11 yrs old then with a 20 gauge. a lot of difference twixt a shotgun and revolver!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts