Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been told to insert a barrel brush from the chamber end of the barrel when cleaning with nitro solvent. My new little 22/45 is more difficult to field strip and reassemble than any other pistol I have owned (S&W, Beretta, H&K).

Does it matter if I brush out the barrel from the barrel end, or should I field strip and then clean the barrel with the brush after several trips to the range? Normally, I just swab out the barrel with the solvent and a patch, then run a dry patch thru, then an oiled patch and finish with a dry patch - when I don't have time to field strip and brush the barrel.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No , not really, just don't "abuse" the muzzle crown........I usually just keep the bolt "open" ( back) if it's NOT field stripped and the gun ,upside down on the bench, and the goop runs out the top of the ejection port.......you can always "flush" it all out with any of the handy dandy sprays , or even an air hose, with low pressure.......swab out and then lightly oil things.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I have seen with my other .22lr's more damage is done to the bore by excessive cleaning than has ever been done by just shooting it dirty.

Needless to say, I tossed my .22 brushes and just use a boresnake with the brass brush pulled out. Seems to keep the bore clean by just putting some powder solvent on the leading end and some gun oil on the tail end and pulling it through once.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't use a bore brush on my rimfires until I see a degrade in accuracy. I use a bore snake about every one hundred rounds to keep the crude to a minimum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts