Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think, should I be as concerned as I am about this knick in the barrel crown? Wish I would have seen it earlier. Came like this fresh from the factory.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Tell Ruger about it. CS will probably take care of it. It's worth a shot! Pun intended. :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Im not sure if that or the terrible machining on the front sight bugs me more.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, just got it home tonight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One can re-crown at home very easily if you want to go that route.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Back to ruger for sure, don't mess with it, Call them.
That looks like a new rifle for you. ( from them )

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back to ruger for sure, don't mess with it, Call them.
That looks like a new rifle for you. ( from them )
Personally, unless Ruger pays shipping both ways, I'd do it myself.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I see what you mean , the front sight looks like it is not mounted properly..sounds like sending it back to Ruger would be a good idea to get both problems fixed or get a replacement...good luck..

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Shoot it then decide. Don't jump to conclusions that it's a big issue until you actually determine from use that it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A crown ding like yours will really throw off shots up to 6" @ 50 yards.

Any good gunsmith could easily fix your crown while you wait. Having a deeper crown cut in the muzzle will improve accuracy.

My gunsmith fixed my Ruger PC4 nicked crown and only charged me 10 bucks and did it while I waited. It really groups well now out to 50 yards.

TK

·
Banned
402 Posts
If it's a new rifle and the crown looks like that I would be shocked if ruger didn't give you a call tag, pick the rifle up and send you a new one. Don't mess with it yourself.
a small nick and yours is not small in the crown can ruin accuracy.
Don't do a shade tree gunsmith job, Looking at your pick again, I can't even see a crown, looks like the barrel was cut straight off.
+ that digger looks deep. Do the right thing here. That rifle should have never left the factory, Ruger will thank you.
I don't and will never understand how people put out good hard earned money and accept this kind of work, and or do all the fixing at home. Did you pay half price for the goods?.
1-603-865-2370 see if you can speak to Gill at C/S
Shoot it first if you like, but it's a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My experience with barrel crowns says that's not good, at all. Doesn't take much of a knick in a crown to screw up your groups and something that deep is a downright disaster.

If the gun came that way, out of the box, then there's no question it's Ruger's liability and, of course, they'll stand behind it. If you start shooting it, then it becomes a used gun and liability gets a little on the fuzzy side. I have no doubt Ruger would still take care of it, but with that front sight being a mess, too, I'd let Ruger take care of it, right now.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its gonna stay unfired, and Im calling Ruger in the morning. Kinda frustrting, but Im glad that Im dealing with Ruger CS compared to some others.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Its gonna stay unfired, and Im calling Ruger in the morning. Kinda frustrting, but Im glad that Im dealing with Ruger CS compared to some others.
probably the best thing to do. You don't know how far metal has been moved by that ding. Could really mess w accuracy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. We'll see what Ruger has to say this week.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
My experience with barrel crowns says that's not good, at all. Doesn't take much of a knick in a crown to screw up your groups and something that deep is a downright disaster.

If the gun came that way, out of the box, then there's no question it's Ruger's liability and, of course, they'll stand behind it. If you start shooting it, then it becomes a used gun and liability gets a little on the fuzzy side. I have no doubt Ruger would still take care of it, but with that front sight being a mess, too, I'd let Ruger take care of it, right now.
I agree. The crown needs to be perfect and this one is far from it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got off the phone with ruger. They sent me a shipping label no questions asked. So now the wait begins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts