Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd start this thread to hear some of your opinions.

When I carried, I had a 2" Taurus 85 snubbie (I did like the gun very much). Now I'm interested in purchasing the SP101 to replace it.

I fully understand the differences in shooting guns of different barrel lengths, but I'm curious how many guys carry the 3 1/16th inch version of the 101? Are there plenty of holsters made for it? Is it harder to conceal? etc... Any preferences???

I'd like to hear from you.

All the best from Texas!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the 2 1/4 version that I carry OWB in a Galco Fletch Holster. This conceals under a t-shirt in all normal ranges of motion but it wouldn't with an extra inch of barrel. The 3 1/16 barrel also eliminates the option of pocket carry which I do with the 2 1/4 from time to time. If I were going to carry IWB or open carry in the woods the 3 1/16 would be fine and I actually like the looks of and the overall balance of the 3 1/16 better than the 2 1/4. The 2 1/4 was the better choice for CCW for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had both and much,much prefer the 3". Either SP is at least twice the weight I'm willing to carry in a pocket, and for ME,the 3" is far better handling, and much easier to shoot well.In fact, the 3" SP101 is one of my all time favorite "using" revolvers.
We're all different but that's my take on it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I carried the SP in 2 1/4" for several years. Was easy to conceal, and with plenty of practice, is easy to shoot well.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have both a Taurus 85 2" and a SP-101 3". Both carry well OWB in Don Hume leather.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I don't like to shoot .357 Magnum out of short Barrels.

Maybe that's because I use "full house" loads. If I was going to carry a 3" gun it would be the GP100, not the SP101. I have a GP100 that will be my new off duty carry gun after Christmas. :D

If I had to have an SP101 I would get the 2.25" Barrel version, but what do I know. I manage to conceal a 4" N-Frame off duty by using a good belt and holster, as well as a BUG. My BUG is a S&W 442.

I have "toyed" with the idea of picking up an SP101 with a 2.25" Barrel and sending it off to be ported, also considering that with the GP100. I can handle the muzzle flip and recoil of the GP100, so I may not have it ported, haven't fully decided yet.

The SP101 is too heavy, IMHO, for daily pocket carry and once I put a gun in my pants I find that the GP100 hides as easy as the SP101, so I select the GP100. As far as ankle carry, the SP101 is too heavy for that too.

OK, that's my $0.02 and it's worth what you paid for it. Merry Christmas and stay safe.

Biker

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going through this decision right now. I like the idea of the 2 1/4 for easier concealment but the 3 1/16 is more appealing for range use. Since I would like to shoot this regularly for practice at the range the 3 1/16 seems like the way to go.

I guess it is a bit of a compromise either way. Any other opinions on this topic? I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Neither version of the Sp101 fits in my pocket like a smith airweight. I carry my Sp in a holster, or tucked inside my jeans. The three inch barreled conceals just as easily when carried in that manner, so that was the one I got. I have been happy with my choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts