Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting a Boyd's thumbhole stock for my stainless carbine, but am wondering about an 18" fluted Kidd bull barrel or a 20" one. I will use the rifle for plinking and casual small game hunting. Once in a while I will shoot targets, but not in competition. I will use high speed ammo, and sometimes CCI Stingers for hunting, which work flawlessly out of the rifle now. I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge base here and would like opinions on barrel length.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'd go with the longer barrel. Since it appears that this will be a target rifle for you, it seems to me that the longer barrel would be more stable and produce better accuracy. JMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stingers

I went with a 16" barrel because you don't gain much velocity for the extra length.
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

Also stingers are not recommended for barrels with target chambers. The longer than spec cases and tighter chamber tolerances can cause failure to extract problems.
That link was interesting, leading me to feel that going above 18" would be, for me, mostly an aesthetic thing, rather than a functional one. I am aware of the Stinger issues with tight chambers. They work flawlessly in my OEM barrel, but is the Kidd Fluted Bull considered a "target" barrel? What does Kidd say about their barrels and Stingers? As an aside, has anyone ever made mini-caps (which I use out of a bolt action here for pest control) work with the semi-auto action? I realize I can manually work the bolt.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
Lqueral, I built up a 10/22 target grade using a 20" Green Mountain .920" bull barrel. It is very accurate with Wolf Target Match or CCI Green Tag ammo, both being Standard velocity ... about 1080 fps. This barrel is HEAVY ... fine for bench shooting but I wouldn't want to tote it through the woods. With the scope and Fajen target stock, my 10/22 tops the scales at 11 pounds!

Nearly all the aftermarket .920" barrels have Bentz (or similar) chambers. These chambers are much tighter than Ruger factory barrels but not quite as tight as a match grade chamber in a bolt action rifle. The more generous factory chambers feed just about any 22 LR quite well, however Bentz chambers are very fussy and don't like most high velocity ammo because bullets are often oversized. My 10/22 will gag on CCI Mini-Mags ... fail to feed rate is at least 50%. The 50% that do feed end up with bullet damage that adversely affects accuracy. As noted by jbooker82, CCI Stingers are not recommended for tight chambers.

Here's my heavy 10/22:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Just Remember...it's not the length of the barrel that counts...it's how you use it!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I kept my stock blue carbine barrel when I replaced the stock with a Boyds Blaster for lefties. Keep thinking about a bull barrel for the gun, but I'm hitting smaller than 1/2 inch dots at 35 yards, the range max. The barrel looks a little strange in that large slot, but it works. The gun has a Brimstone trigger job, 2.25 pounds; a Kidd bolt and a nice scope, 4X16.

I must admit I shoot the same size dots, same distance with a Ruger Mark iii Target Model pistol with a 2X scope and a Ruger Mark iii Competition Target Model pistol with a 2X6 scope. Must be those Ruger barrels!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you plan on using that rifle for plinking and hunting, I'd highly recommend a 16" barrel. I've read that by 20", the bullet has started slowing down due to friction. A longer barrel will be very slightly more accurate. But if you're talking about a Kidd, both the 20" bull and the 16" Lightweight barrel are guaranteed to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds. That's still Minute of Squirrel, and a lot lighter to lug around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts