Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used - in good condition - Ruger #1 in 30-06. It was made in 1983.
I have not shot it yet.
What is the barrel life for these rifles ?
What should I expect from accuracy point of view ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Cat Herder
1,649 Posts
I'm not sure of 30-06 barrel life, but being a single shot rifle that looks to have been setup for hunting and being in good condition, I'd venture a guess that it is no where close to it's end of life. I also very much doubt a normal person has the time to commit to shoot out the barrel on a single shot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
First - Take a look at the crown and see if there is any obvious damage.

If not - go to the range, try it out and see what sort of accuracy you can get out of it now. If you aren't getting fantastic results, try out a handful of other different weights and brands of ammo. Or if you re-load, work up a few different loads. Odds are, you'll find something that will work fine for hunting with MPBR.

If you can't get anything to pattern - thats the time time start worrying about taking measures to make it more accurate. That particular model is designed with hunting in mind, so don't expect 1 inch groups at 400 yards...its not a bench rest rifle.

I may be generalizing here, but my impression is that most people who own a Ruger #1 have multiple rifles, and its unlikely they would do their volume shooting through it. I agree with what Spiff said - it would take serious time and commitment to burn out a single shot barrel. 30-06 isn't the easiest round on barrels, but its not exactly known for burning them out super quickly.

If you still have concerns after shooting it - take it to a competent smith for a diagnosis. I'm sure they can replace the barrel if it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
There are 03 Springfields out there that will still shoot decent groups after going through 2 world wars. I wouldn't worry about shooting the barrel out.

·
3,333 Posts
Dont worry about the barrel. If it got normal care, its fine, especially in a single shot. While I am aware that every single shot shooter does a mag dump every shot, we typically are more cognoscente of not overheating rifles, proper cleaning, etc. Single shot shooting is a mindset.

That said, Ruger #1's can have some little idiosyncrasies. So shoot it with a couple different brands and bullets and report back. If accuracy is not what you want/expect, there are some tricks, but lets see what it can do first.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,028 Posts
I agree with all the other comments posted. Accuracy will be fine for hunting medium and big game out to several hundred yards. It is not a target rifle. No one shoots a .30-06 single shot hunting rifle enough to burn up a barrel. Test different weight/types/brands of ammo and enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The overbore index of 30-06 is (915.4).

Which puts it right in the middle of the range, and below the 1000+ index of "barrel burners" such as my 243 (1164) and a 7mm Mag (1326).

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have a remington 7600 in 30-06 that I have put 4000 rounds thru and I purchased it used. I used the gun in nra 3 gun and that entails a fair amount of shooting. It still holds 1.5 inches at 100 yards from arest. Pump actions are not noted for bolt action accuracy.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I’m on the same page as the rest. Can you burn up a single shot? Maybe, but I think a guy would really have to put in a lot of effort to do so.

I’ve generally found if the exterior of a rifle looks like it’s been taken the inside has been too. If you really want to know how much life your #1 has in it take it to a smith and have it scoped to see how much throat erosion there is.

Or just take it out and see what it’ll do.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
By now I'm sure it's all shot out and worthless ... I have $100.00 I can give you for it .
Just out of the goodness of my heart !

My 30-06 , the only rifle I own and shoot/hunt a lot , is dated 1945 . 1903-A3 Springfield Sporter
75 years at least with a little care ....easy .
Mine is still going strong .
Gary

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont worry about the barrel. If it got normal care, its fine, especially in a single shot. While I am aware that every single shot shooter does a mag dump every shot, we typically are more cognoscente of not overheating rifles, proper cleaning, etc. Single shot shooting is a mindset.

That said, Ruger #1's can have some little idiosyncrasies. So shoot it with a couple different brands and bullets and report back. If accuracy is not what you want/expect, there are some tricks, but lets see what it can do first.

I agree with all the other comments posted. Accuracy will be fine for hunting medium and big game out to several hundred yards. It is not a target rifle. No one shoots a .30-06 single shot hunting rifle enough to burn up a barrel. Test different weight/types/brands of ammo and enjoy your rifle.

The shop owner mentioned that the previous owner did not shoot it a lot.
I plan to test different ammo an see what I have
Until then sharing a pic of the barrel. Hope the quality is ok

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would doubt very much that it has significant wear. I think it is just a case of finding the ammo that it favors.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By now I'm sure it's all shot out and worthless ... I have $100.00 I can give you for it .
Just out of the goodness of my heart !

My 30-06 , the only rifle I own and shoot/hunt a lot , is dated 1945 . 1903-A3 Springfield Sporter
75 years at least with a little care ....easy .
Mine is still going strong .
Gary

I am sure this will be fine as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m on the same page as the rest. Can you burn up a single shot? Maybe, but I think a guy would really have to put in a lot of effort to do so.

I’ve generally found if the exterior of a rifle looks like it’s been taken the inside has been too. If you really want to know how much life your #1 has in it take it to a smith and have it scoped to see how much throat erosion there is.

Or just take it out and see what it’ll do.

That’s the plan. Thanks for commenting

·
Registered
533 Posts
It takes a lot of shooting to wear out a sporting rifle barrel. It's a single shot so you can't do a mag dump. If you take care of it, that barrel will outlast you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the 30-06 only runs at 50K CUP or so. 308 Win at 52K CUP. due to the more moderate pressure of the 30-06 as compared to more modern numbers, and a lot of other variables like powder capacity to bore diameter, etc. the "barrel life" of most 30-06 Chrome Moly barrels is in the 9K to 10K region. the only 30-06 barrel i've ever seen that was actually worn out is an old Rem pump that someone had run a bunch of mil surp AP through it. the rifling was almost gone the entire length of the barrel. you had to clean the barrel really well and hold it up to a strong light to start to see the ghost of rifling in the barrel. even so it still shot 5" groups at 100 yards with what looked to me like no apparent rifling. Rate of fire also figures in to barrel wear, but most all barrel wear actually amounts to throat erosion issues. the more powder to bore area you have, and the faster the rate of fire, the quicker you will erode the throat. an M1 will likely show much more throat erosion than a Ruger No.1 for the same round count down the barrel due to the typically much higher rate of fire. like many have mentioned, the most difficult (or fun depending upon your outlook) part will be finding a load (or loads) that your new to you No. 1 groups well. and if you throw handloading in, well, you could do a lot of experimenting :) i wouldn't worry, however, about a used up barrel, generally, particularly in 30-06. Now 6.5-300 Wby will rapidly erode the throat of the barrel. no so much a 30-06.
-tdbru

·
Registered
137 Posts
30-06 is obviously different from 7.62/308, but I wouldnt think to different in this reality, as stated above.

For what it's worth, my standard M1a barrel was said to last about 10k rounds by Mr Smith at Smith Enterprises, say what you will about this grumpasauraus, but he knows his M14's and I believe him. This was about a standard scout barrel, non chromed.

It also helps that it's not a rapid fire lond of gun/cartridge, unless your in WW2. If you take your time with shots, it will keep the temp low, stretching out more life.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your comments.
I went to the range and tried to see how it shoots with the old Zeiss 4X32 scope.
Shown is the last group of three shots, S&B 147gr.
I decided to change the scope to a Leupold 1-4X20 which I have not tested yet.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
What distance were you at today?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts