Ruger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,042 Posts
I think I'm looking at two nice groups on the brown pasters. Is that correct? If so that rifle is shooting lights out! Congratulations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I'm looking at two nice groups on the brown pasters. Is that correct? If so that rifle is shooting lights out! Congratulations.

Thanks. The best group is as marked. The other pasters were those shot to zero the scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your Leupy 1-4 x20, is that the Freedom? Weighs like 9 oz or so? I have used that scope and it's nice, I think you'll like it.

Good groups to me!! Nice shooting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your Leupy 1-4 x20, is that the Freedom? Weighs like 9 oz or so? I have used that scope and it's nice, I think you'll like it.

Good groups to me!! Nice shooting.

Thanks for your comment. I hope the group will improve.
The scope is this one

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Now I am starting to be concerned about some old Colt Pythons sitting in the back of the gun safe. They may have the lands and grooves shot out and not be worth anything but scrap.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
OP I'm not really sure. I think all are in the original boxes and they are just stacked up. I need to count when I get a chance. :) :)

I have bought numerous used guns since I was 14 years old. I never had a used gun that I regreted buying. The guns I bought which required a return to the factory were all new! Only one gun was a Ruger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sharing the targets shot this weekend
S&B 147gr FMJ at 100 meters from a bench rest.
Leupold 1-4X20 Hog scope

I am very happy with the outcome and this little rifle is a great find
Thanks for all your comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great looking gun and scope.

I might suggest you stay away from FMJ rounds though. Just me...…

My suggestion for an accurate and good performance hunting load is one of the 165 gr premium loads. Google "165 grain 30-o6" and look around. Stick with high quality ammo and the gun will love you.... LOL

Good luck with your rifle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great looking gun and scope.

I might suggest you stay away from FMJ rounds though. Just me...…

My suggestion for an accurate and good performance hunting load is one of the 165 gr premium loads. Google "165 grain 30-o6" and look around. Stick with high quality ammo and the gun will love you.... LOL

Good luck with your rifle.

Good advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a Ruger No. 1 International I bought back in the late 70s in 30-06. If I live long enough to shoot it out I will post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are 03 Springfields out there that will still shoot decent groups after going through 2 world wars. I wouldn't worry about shooting the barrel out.
FWIW, (have not read beyond the above) I have 03a3 barrel and action I crafted into a sporter, 15 years ago, shot MOA then and still does...but you never know. Some get shot; some not!

No likee pm me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dont worry about the barrel. If it got normal care, its fine, especially in a single shot. While I am aware that every single shot shooter does a mag dump every shot, we typically are more cognoscente of not overheating rifles, proper cleaning, etc. Single shot shooting is a mindset.

That said, Ruger #1's can have some little idiosyncrasies. So shoot it with a couple different brands and bullets and report back. If accuracy is not what you want/expect, there are some tricks, but lets see what it can do first.
+1.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts