Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a search on this and did not really find much info . I have been thinking of having my .45 Blackhawk ported but a friend told me that you can't shoot cast bullets from a ported barrel . Cast bullets are all I have been shooting and I don't want to damage the gun . He was pretty vague about why it would damage the gun and I think maybe he is wrong . Any help would be appreciated .Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
Brettov,

Seems answers to cast bullet questions are mostly vague. Or, the opinions are not based in fact or reality.

Check with the friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable people at castboolits.com. (Yes that's the way it's spelled.) The site has a search feature and an archive. Many members shoot M-1 Garand's, M-1 carbines, and SKS's, all of which operate via gas venting through a port. They will give you straight answers based on their experiences.

I dare say, too, that you will pick up no small amount of information about .45 Colt/ACP cast bullets and your Blackhawk.

As a caster and shooter of only cast bullets, that's about all the advise I can offer, as I've not, yet, cast for my Garand.

By the way, I agree wholeheartedly with your tagline.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Brettov -

Me thinks your friend is very wrong.

In my experience, the porting really helps reduce "felt recoil" and has no drawbacks other than the recommendation that you don't shoot bird-shot loads.

I only load shot for snakes (the ones without legs) and carry a SP101 with bird-shot loads for that purpose.

I had my Redhawk ported by Mag-na-port in about 1980 and have shot thousands of cast bullets through it with no problems whatsoever. I've taken several deer, a bunch of coyotes, and more jackrabbits than I could count with that gun and cast bullets.

I now mostly shoot .357 mag with cast bullets and plan to have my 6" GP100 ported in the near future.

By the way, I too have found this site and castboolits.com. to be the best and overall most friendly sites for accurate, straightforward information from folks that actually shoot, reload, cast bullets, do their own gunsmithing, etc.

JMHO - YRMV

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snobal & Kingstrider . Thanks for this info it helps a lot . I recieved a reply from Mag-na-port on this issue and the said pretty much the same . This was there reply.
(We hae many shooters using cast lead bullets with Magnaported barrels. If the lead is soft, you will get lead build up on the outside of the barrels and sight. The only issue in shooting is the need to clean up after. I picked up a trick by competition shooters, they coat the area around the ports with chapstick prior to shooting and say the lead just peels off after)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brettov, Why would you want to port a .45LC Blackhawk? Are you trying to make it a .44? Don't. The old singl action was designed to recoil up. This recoil puts the hammer are just the right place to cock it again with your shooting hand thumb. It works, why mess with it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brettov, Why would you want to port a .45LC Blackhawk? Are you trying to make it a .44? Don't. The old singl action was designed to recoil up. This recoil puts the hammer are just the right place to cock it again with your shooting hand thumb. It works, why mess with it?
clinton4463 . Sorry I didn't see this question for a while . I was looking into porting my barrel for when I am shooting heavy loads . I thought It might make it easier to get back on target from the heavier recoil . The 300grn cast bullets at about 1250fps seems to have more recoil than .44 mag factory loads . I do believe I will leave the barrel as is . I like the clean look . I will just have to shoot that load more and get use to it . The factory and the cowboy loads are no problem . Thanks for your input

·
Banned
137 Posts
I know cast bullets don't work with porting in the Desert Eagles and probably any other semi auto. Lead builds up in the vents and is hard to get out. In your average single action, porting tames recoil and also reduces the value of a gun in a big way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know cast bullets don't work with porting in the Desert Eagles and probably any other semi auto. Lead builds up in the vents and is hard to get out. In your average single action, porting tames recoil and also reduces the value of a gun in a big way.
Hmmm, I actually got a premium for my SBH because it was Magna-Ported.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts