Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering rust bluing my Blackhawk. Several people have recommended (no, actually, insisted) I remove the barrel to do a proper job of it. I've never done that before. Been reading everything I can about how to accomplish that stage of the project. But it sounds as if the only safe approach is to take it to a good gunsmith. Sounds as if to do it properly requires a lot of specialty clamps and wrenches etc. I'm a cheapskate and while I've not priced either the clamps and wrenches or a gunsmith's work, I'm sure the price would be far above what I want to spend on the project. Is there a safe and reliable way I can remove and replace this barrel myself?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,125 Posts
Removing a barrel for refinishing is not a good plan. Why? It is very likely you will damage the barrel and/or frame when you put it back together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
No need to pull it.

And recognize that Iowegan counts as about 50 in a discussion with common non-gunsmith folks.

So by my count, the deck is heavily now stacked towards not removing the barrel.

·
Banned
785 Posts
They don't usually remove barrels when hot tank bluing either. Not sure why anyone would. Best time to get the polish the way ya want it and keep it that way is after a barrel is installed. Bout the only way I'd put one on after the fact is a savage/marlin barrel where the only thing to booger up is the nut.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are making good points here. Besides, I didn't really want to pull the barrel or pay a smith to do it. KISS has always been my moto...........as long as the project gets done and done well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts