Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,,,was making a fast draw toy out of old 3 screw blackhawk 357/38...
had the 6" barrel cut to 4 5/8 and left the front sight off and removed rear sight,,,supposedly just a point shooter!!!! It shoots straight but very high,14-16"....Can the point of aim be changed or do i need to have sights put back on.cause i cant hit much even at 4-7 yards,,,,thanks for any input..

·
Registered
652 Posts
If its going to be a "point shooter", leave the sights off and practice like heck point shooting it. If you're going to aim it, I'd put the sights back on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i understand that for sure but am not that bad of a shot with my colt frontier,my main concern was could the point of impact been altered enough that i should have to point at the knee to achieve a hit in the upper torso???? am not a gunsmith!!

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I think you should consider taking the gun to a good gunsmith and have him re-crown the end of the barrel...it'll greatly increase the accuracy of the revolver.

"The crown, or very end, of the barrel is very important and greatly affects accuracy of a firearm. The crown is the very last portion of the barrel that has contact with a bullet. A damaged crown may impart an unwanted spin or wobble to a bullet as it leaves the barrel. A barrel can be recrowned and smoothed with hand tools, with the barrel installed or removed from the stock. An 11-degree cut is a popular industry standard for most rifle and handgun barrel crowns."
Read more: DIY Barrel Crowning | eHow.com DIY Barrel Crowning | eHow.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had crossed my mind but now i got another opinion that is a plan,,gonna be in san antonio for the holidays and i have heard that 10 ring has a good as they get,,i could buy another revolver but i really like the old 3 screw blackhawks....and i know i need to practice which kinda been on hold with gas price and ammo price...Thanks again for all ideas...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am cursed with a brain(?) that want shut off at night,,thinking about guns ,,gun leather,,women,, and booze,,,ha ha joking (maybe) but it occurs to me that maybe
the inherit design of the ruger blackhawks is why they have such a tall front sight and would make sense if removed,,point shooting would be impacting the target high,,so for that tid bit i will need a short nap,,,ain't life grand!!!!

·
Ed Mann
410 Posts
You may be able to use custom grips - that's how you adjust POI on a point-shooter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gun position

well i went to an outdoor range where you can shoot form a holster draw with gun being just above the holster and was able to keep all shots on a torso sized target at about 18-20 feet...At indoor range they have typical set up of a bench right about where you want to hold and no holster drawing,,made a huge difference for me..thanks for all input and getting it recrowned is going to happen,,just keep burning powder amigos,,,,huasta luego

1 - 8 of 8 Posts