Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1970 OM Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. It is not converted and it is the 3 screw model (was told these details mattered). It has the shorter barrel, 4 7/8 inch I think, the ejector port is flushed with the barrel if that means anything. I like the look of the 6 1/2 inch barrel and was wondering if it is worth the effort to have it changed out as well as the cost. Would the cost be so significant that I should just keep this one as is and just go buy another one in the barrel length I want? Lastly, if I decide to, is there a difference in the .357 and the .357/.9mm barrel? I have found a few barrels for sale but they are listed as OM Ruger Blackhawk .357 and when I asked if it is the same as the convertible, I get crickets.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,162 Posts
Priest78, First, your 4 5/8" OM convertible has good collector value in it's origional condition. If you change barrels, not only will it cost you for the barrel and the work, it will also cost you in collector value.

All 357 Mag Blackhawks have a .357" bore whereas a 9mm ammo has .355" diameter bullets …. close enough where 9mm ammo will shoot OK.

Your best bet would be to keep your OM and buy a New Model with a 6 1/2" barrel. 6 1/2" New Model 357 Blackhawks are available in both stainless and blued and 357 only or 9mm/357 convertibles. New Models are much safer to operate and are just as accurate as OMs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Priest78, First, your 4 5/8" OM convertible has good collector value in it's origional condition. If you change barrels, not only will it cost you for the barrel and the work, it will also cost you in collector value.

All 357 Mag Blackhawks have a .357" bore whereas a 9mm ammo has .355" diameter bullets …. close enough where 9mm ammo will shoot OK.

Your best bet would be to keep your OM and buy a New Model with a 6 1/2" barrel. 6 1/2" New Model 357 Blackhawks are available in both stainless and blued and 357 only or 9mm/357 convertibles. New Models are much safer to operate and are just as accurate as OMs.
Perfect, that is all I needed to know. Thank you for the information and I guess I will be looking to buy a New Model Blackhawk. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts