Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a GP100 in .357 with a 6" barrel and a Redhawk in .44 mag with 4" barrel. Picked these guns up 25 years apart from one another, however I sorta wished I had the barrel lengths reversed.

How fitted are these barrel? Curious to know if a barrel swap would be as easy as un-screwing the old and screwing on the new.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
269 Posts
I've seen parts gun for sale, specifically Redhawks, and it looks as though the barrel is threaded. check ebay, and you'll see what I mean.

I would think you'd need some type of vice, I've looked into putting a bigger barrel on mine, like a 9 1/2". some Super Redhawks have 12" barrels.

you could probably find a used gun for what you would pay someone to re-barrel your guns.

plus you'd have to find a parts gun, to switch barrels. I've never seen a brand new barrel for sale.

I doubt Ruger sells new barrels for Redhawks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had my Redhawk rebarreled from 7.5" to 5.5" and had several .45 Colt NMBHs rebarreled from 7.5" to 5.5". The factory did it for me.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Definitely call Ruger CS to discuss. I had an old SBH rebarreled about a year and half ago - new barrel, new front sight, new ejector rod, ERH, ER spring and screw, gun re-polished to even out the satin SS finish. They did a great job and it cost around $260 total with shipping as I recall. The gun came back looking like new. They also went through it and made sure everything was in spec.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
A GP100 barrel - without question - will not fit a Redhawk, and vice versa. I wouldn't necessarily expect that the barrel thread diameter and pitch are the same, but they could be. The threads won't be the same length however, so I really don't expect it makes sense to even attempt - the forward member of the frames aren't the same size and the tenon penetration aren't the same. Since the GP100 has a smaller diameter cylinder and the frame overall smaller than the Redhawk, the mainpin/extractor rod cut on the barrel boss also won't line up. I could go on and on, but you get the picture - they are NOT interchangeable parts between models.

Ruger will typically be willing to rebarrel either or both, often the cost associated with this is more than selling your existing revolvers and buying new ones. They will ONLY create models that have been offered in the past, however. As Wave noted - $260 for rebarreling a simple round barrel revolver is way more cost than you'd be out to sell your GP100 used and buy another used one - heck, more than you'd spend to sell and buy new! Same for the Redhawk - $260 covers a lot of loss on used vs. used price risk. There's a bit of work that goes into rebarreling a GP100 or Redhawk compared to an SBH, but Ruger typically does take that work, as long as the end result matches a previously offered factory model (i.e. if your 4.2" Redhawk were a round butt, they wouldn't put a 6" barrel on it, as they haven't ever offered one like that).

Take-off barrels are around to be had for both, you just need to look around. If you don't see one on ebay currently, there are still several gun parts sellers on ebay that you can call that may have one. Numrich sometimes comes into barrels, but they go quickly when they do. These are typically $100-150, sometimes lucky to buy them for less. You do take a risk that it'll need to be set back a thread if either or both the tenon or shoulder are too short, but you can have a barrel installed typically for $50-100. That might be the cheapest option for you.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Don't forget there's the barrel to cylinder gap to be set and getting the sites to be straight up (no cocked barrels like we coming from Ruger on NEW guns sometimes) too.

So there's more to think about than 'just screwing it in'. Enter the gunsmith.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts