Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the barrel the same between the rifle and the charger? Not looking to make a SBR but more a LBP (long barrel pistol). Can a rifle barrel go into the charger receiver and vice versa? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
First off don't expect the laws to make any sense...

It is my understanding that the charger is classified as a pistol not a rifle...the designation stamped on the receiver is what makes it so...

It is also my understanding that except for the stamping designating it as a pistol they are identical...meaning the barrels are mechanically interchangeable...

There is no law I know of that puts a barrel length limit of any kind on a pistol...

I believe there is a law that says you cannot put a rifle stock/butt on a pistol so it can be shoulder fired...regardless of the barrel length...

That would mean you could not use a charger receiver to make a rifle even if it complied fully with the SBR law because of the stamping on the receiver...

Conversely...you cannot make a pistol out of rifle...the barrel has to be at least 16" long past the end of the receiver...on a shotgun it is 18"...and the overall length as I understand it has to be 29" regardless of stock style...

You need to verify the laws yourself and not rely on forum info

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
First off don't expect the laws to make any sense...

It is my understanding that the charger is classified as a pistol not a rifle...the designation stamped on the receiver is what makes it so...

It is also my understanding that except for the stamping designating it as a pistol they are identical...meaning the barrels are mechanically interchangeable...

There is no law I know of that puts a barrel length limit of any kind on a pistol...

I believe there is a law that says you cannot put a rifle stock/butt on a pistol so it can be shoulder fired...regardless of the barrel length...
That would mean you could not use a charger receiver to make a rifle even if it complied fully with the SBR law because of the stamping on the receiver...

Conversely...you cannot make a pistol out of rifle...the barrel has to be at least 16" long past the end of the receiver...on a shotgun it is 18"...and the overall length as I understand it has to be 29" regardless of stock style...

You need to verify the laws yourself and not rely on forum info
You can put a rifle stock on the Charger if you also put a rifle length barrel on it. But you can't make a short barreled rifle out of it without doing the paperwork. Don't even have the parts in close proximity to make one.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks 303...

If you have a 10/22 rifle and a charger you have all the parts in close proximity to make a short barreled rifle...especially if you have multiple parts for each...that isn't a crime but that doesn't mean what 303 said isn't true...and everything would be a crime if we let them make it so...

Just proves the need for the 2nd amendment...

---------------

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Thanks 303...

If you have a 10/22 rifle and a charger you have all the parts in close proximity to make a short barreled rifle...especially if you have multiple parts for each...that isn't a crime but that doesn't mean what 303 said isn't true...and everything would be a crime if we let them make it so...

Just proves the need for the 2nd amendment...

---------------
I think its "ambigous".

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, the same...BUT...In order to take a receiver and make it a Charger...you have to get OK from ATF to change the designation from a rifle to a handgun...takes anywhere from 3-6 months....typical government operation

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Is the barrel the same between the rifle and the charger? Not looking to make a SBR but more a LBP (long barrel pistol). Can a rifle barrel go into the charger receiver and vice versa? Thanks.
Question: Is the barrel the same between the rifle and the charger?

Answer: The receivers are the same physically but not legally... which means the barrels are mechanically interchangeable even tho the barrels are different outside diameter and length...but you have to be careful what you swap to what...some of it is legal...other is not...

Question: Not looking to make a SBR but more a LBP (long barrel pistol). Can a rifle barrel go into the charger receiver and vice versa?

The way I am understanding it is you can put as long of a barrel on a charger receiver as you want...the vice verse is the problem...

And apparently...if you want to make a SBR legal rifle with a charger receiver you can...but if you put a rifle butt/stock on a charger it better have at least a 16" barrel...otherwise it is no longer a pistol but a short barreled rifle...even if it is designated a pistol by the receiver...

The charger receiver being a pistol however... if it had a 16" barrel... would not have to have a butt/stock making the overall length 29" minimum and would in fact be the long barrel pistol referred to...whereas with the same receiver designated from the factory as a rifle would have to have both a 16" barrel AND a rifle butt/stock with an overall length of 29" minimum...

Let me be clear...I am not saying I know the correct interpretation of all the convoluted crap the gov't has on the books...but I don't see any reason you can't put a rifle barrel on a charger receiver...and keep it as a pistol...

My question is...why would you want to...once it has that long of a barrel you need a butt/stock to manage it...

Of course if you put a TacSol SB-X barrel on a charger that would not be any harder to manage than the factory one although a lot longer it would still be lighter weight...I would still want a rifle stock... :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Question: Is the barrel the same between the rifle and the charger?

Answer: The receivers are the same physically but not legally... which means the barrels are mechanically interchangeable even tho the barrels are different outside diameter and length...but you have to be careful what you swap to what...some of it is legal...other is not...

Question: Not looking to make a SBR but more a LBP (long barrel pistol). Can a rifle barrel go into the charger receiver and vice versa?

The way I am understanding it is you can put as long of a barrel on a charger receiver as you want...the vice verse is the problem...

And apparently...if you want to make a SBR legal rifle with a charger receiver you can...but if you put a rifle butt/stock on a charger it better have at least a 16" barrel...otherwise it is no longer a pistol but a short barreled rifle...even if it is designated a pistol by the receiver...

The charger receiver being a pistol however... if it had a 16" barrel... would not have to have a butt/stock making the overall length 29" minimum and would in fact be the long barrel pistol referred to...whereas with the same receiver designated from the factory as a rifle would have to have both a 16" barrel AND a rifle butt/stock with an overall length of 29" minimum...

Let me be clear...I am not saying I know the correct interpretation of all the convoluted crap the gov't has on the books...but I don't see any reason you can't put a rifle barrel on a charger receiver...and keep it as a pistol...

My question is...why would you want to...once it has that long of a barrel you need a butt/stock to manage it...

Of course if you put a TacSol SB-X barrel on a charger that would not be any harder to manage than the factory one although a lot longer it would still be lighter weight...I would still want a rifle stock... :D
I agree with all points except putting a longer barrel on a Charger. But even then I agree 90%. I put a rifle barrel on mine that had been cut-down to 11" which is only slightly longer than the stock Charger barrel. I think going to 12" would be about the max I would want on one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts