Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you just bought a standard tapered barrel model with a stock that fits it, are you aware that you'll have to modify the existing stock or buy a new one as well?

Why do you want a bull barrel? There are lots of great bull barrels out there - Kidd, Green Mountain, and Feddersen are my favorites, Volquartsen is also very good. The important thing is choosing a barrel that fits the kind of shooting you want to do.

Bull barrels are heavy in longer lengths unless you buy one of the ultralight aluminum or carbon-fiber models. They can also require that you fit a rear tang or bed your action, and change from the standard V-block barrel retainer to a straight push type (see Gunsmithertools.com). You need to decide how you want to use your rifle before choosing one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Hogue stock that requires a .920 barrel. I've been looking at Tactical Solutions. I'm looking for accuracy, and, am very new to this. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kidd and Volquartsen buy their barrel blanks from Lothar/Walther out of Germany and do the final machining in the US. I use the Kidd 20" Stainless match barrel and it is great. My rifle is a full bench rest piece, built to shoot against, Winchester 52's, Remington 40's,Turbo action customs and various 10/22 builds and it is competitive with those guns if I do my job. Consistently it will beat the 10/22's and on a good day has been competitive with the others.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you're looking for maximum accuracy, Kidd. There are none better. That said, the fellow who runs the Auto Bench Rest Association has had very good results with a Green Mountain bull barrel that he has hot-rodded slightly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
having good results with a green mountain 16" .920 fluted barrel. put the rifle in a magpul hunter x stock. haven't taken it to 100 yet but at 75yds it does a ragged hole that a quarter will cover. for what it's worth, using a nikon prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 on it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
having good results with a green mountain 16" .920 fluted barrel. put the rifle in a magpul hunter x stock. haven't taken it to 100 yet but at 75yds it does a ragged hole that a quarter will cover. for what it's worth, using a nikon prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 on it.
For some reason thought the legal limit 18 inch with a permit from ATF

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,404 Posts
ddahlgren, 18" is minimum barrel length for shotguns .... 16" is minimum length for rifles .... unless you have a BATF tax stamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts