Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a common problem with heavy recoiling single actions. I took my new SBH 10.5" out yesterday to shoot it for the first time. The base pin would jump out and lock up the cylinder every couple of rounds if I didn't check it. With out resorting to the Belt Mountain alternative, I was wondering if anyone can give feedback on the Wolff extra power spring. These are pretty inexpensive and if they fix the problem, that would make my day.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I might have fixed the problem. I decided to remove the latch as it seemed as if it was binding. I discovered that it had excess loctite gumming up the spring and latch. I cleaned it up and stretched the spring a bit. After reassembly, it seems a lot more positive and moves freely. I will probably order a Wolff spring kit anyway. I will try to shoot in the next couple of days and see how it go's.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
On all of the kits that I used to tune up my Ruger single actions, they all had an extra power base pin latch spring just for the purpose you've indicated. Of course it also may be the latch itself, or the notch cut into the base pin. I'd look into if there was something wrong with the original equipment before relying upon add on components. Smithy.

P.S. You can't go wrong with a Belt Mountain pin however.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Common problem with SA Rugers. I replaced all my base pins with Belt Mountains ones. When hunting dangerous game, you don't want the cylinder to lock up when 'Ol Gris is just 10 feet away!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Common problem with SA Rugers.
The Wolff springs have solved the problem on all my .45 Colt Rugers.

My question is, why doesn't Ruger address the problem? I first experienced it with one of the early Vaqueros (mid-90s?) and with every .45 Colt I bought since then, the latest being a Lipsey's Flattop Convertible. Now, I just replace the spring as a matter of course. Why doesn't Ruger do something about it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts