Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is some speculation about it, but as Cabelas is a public company it seems premature to assume that it's happening. Talk about closing stores right away also seems odd, unless Cabelas is losing money big time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Old maintenance man I work with was all worked up about this yesterday. Said Chinese bought bass pro now the Chinese are buying cabelas lol

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I haven't seen a Cabela's I disliked. And I haven't been in a Bass pro that I did like. Wish Cabela's was buying BPS instead.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I feel like an idiot now because I thought they were already consolidated companies.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yeah, I thought they were one company, with an "eastern US" branch and a "western US" branch called Bass Pro and Cabela's. But I don't know nuffin'.

·
Super Moderator
21,404 Posts
In their 3rd Qtr earning release they mention restructuring part of which was the closing of their distribution center in Manitoba, CN and sale of nonproductive assets but say nothing about entering into negotiations with another party to sell the company. They are making money but earnings are down some vs. forecast (clothing sales underperformed). That started the restructuring they mention. Any buyout would have to be approved by a majority of shareholders.

Here is a Reuters article about Bass Pro seeking financing:

Exclusive: Bass Pro Shops explores bid for Cabela's - sources | Reuters

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,335 Posts
Business is good, Basspro always with a good crowd.
Thanks to the POTUS, two new Nor-Cal Bass Pros just opened recently in addition to the one nearest to me in CA's Central Valley. Also, in two nearby cities, a shooting sports store's coming soon and a 1st ever gun expo next week.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
For my fishing passion Bass Pro is the place to go 80% of the time. For the shooting passion Cabela's really comes in handy for the reloading supplies.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cabela's = a hunting store with a little bit of fishing stuff
Bass Pro = a fishing store with a little bit of hunting stuff
I can't see the benefit of a buyout/merger I say keep them separate.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Bought a red dot optic in the local Basspro and asked if they would price match Cabelas. While the associate was getting all the approvals a couple of remarks came out as in 'how will we do this in the future' and 'must be the first time we price-matched ourselves'. I hope they don't merge or whatever it is called as the competition is a good thing for all of us. Other thing is there are lots of places where Basspro and Cabela's are in the same vicinity of one another..............

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I hope they restructure their prices so that people want to shop there. Seriously every time I'm in one of those big boxes they're ghost towns.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yup, heard that too, but have not seen any name changes yet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I worked in the original BPS in Springfield, MO., back when it was the only BPS. Johnny Morris used to have high rollers tour the place a couple times a year. We'd hear they offered him millions to sell the company but he turned them down. He started branching out after I left. I always have a soft spot for them. They used to have a Fall hunting classic and companies would offer great deals on guns and ammo. I remember getting a new Browning Buckmark .22 pistol for $150.
I was always told that Johnny modeled BPS after Cabela's stores. It would be interesting to see them merge.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bass Pro just opened a big store in Round Rock, TX and Cabela's opened an outlet store in Waco about 90 miles up the road. I guess life good for both. Would be an interesting merger though...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts