Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen: Are there significant differences between BBQ guns and Safe
Queens?
What are the criteria that qualifies a gun to be a BBQ gun? Age? Shine? Rarity? Historical significance? Most add ons?
Would a stock Ruger 10/22 be a SQ if it were, indeed, the best gun in the safe?
And, do any of you fine folks have example photos that would clear things up?
I know some guys don't have safes, and that's okay with me. It does not disqualify them.
My wife is a newly-minted NRA Instructor and she asks a lot of questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bbq guns are pretty all dolled up in their beautiful leather so that your friends can ooh and aah over. But safe queens are the ones you reserve for yourself like the Mossberg 142B I inherited from my grandfather. It ain't pretty or all dressed up in a leather scabbard. But it means more to me than any high zoot BBQ gun

·
Registered
2 Posts
BBQ Guns are typically bright blue, bright stainless or bright nickel and adorned with some engraving. Grips may be ivory pearl and the holster should be of the floral carved leather variety. This gun earns bragging rights for the fanciest gun at the BBQ. Safe Queens, IMO, describe any gun which does not get fired or carried, resides in the safe and occasionally fondled, the action does not get racked or the cylinder turned.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Mine are all shooters I don't own any bbq gun or safe queens so I couldn't tell ya the difference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll bet even SQs want to to a BBQ from time to time. It's a queen's prerogative.
There must be some overlap between these two groups.
If I had a historically-significant pistol, you'd bet I'd show it off at a BBQ.
Well, just a peek at the JWB initials. Just kidding. Sheesh.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you Outlaw. That was me 30 years ago.
I'm old now and don't get around to shooting all of them. Dang, I even sound old.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Simple: If you never go to BBQs then you have safe queens.

Next question!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Mine are all shooters I don't own any bbq gun or safe queens so I couldn't tell ya the difference.
I partly agree.
I've drooled at enough BBQ guns here that I know how fine they look.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've never worn a gun to a BBQ, at least not visibly. So I don't have what I consider to be a BBQ gun. But I have a few nice guns and more guns than I can reasonably shoot in the infrequent times I get to the range so that does (sadly) leave me with a lot of safe queens. It really depends on how you define the terms. I think a safe queen could be worn to a BBQ and I bet most BBQ guns spend a lot of time in a safe. So in some ways they're very similar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BWinters: Consider 'bonded ivory'. It's a blend of bone, bits of real ivory, eye of newt, etc. It's elephant-friendly.
Check AltamontCo online. Great stuff. Looks like real ivory, but isn't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This might be considered a bit much for a Texas BBQ gun. And, it's just a .32. That's a safe queen for me.

Now this would likely work as a BBQ gun in the south. It's a Smith. It's a .44, it's got stags and lightly engraved with my name, rank, badge number and department in an El Paso saddlery rig.

For an auto, it would have to be a .45. Again, stags with sterling inserts with my initials.

A purist might say a BBQ should be nickel. Maybe, I just prefer stainless these days. Or blue.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
BBQ guns are safe queens that are being shot..... ;) :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here is a photo of a BBQ gun that I carried on duty for about 8 years while a patrol deputy and Sgt. It was no safe queen and very accurate. Colt National Match made in the early 60's, pre gold Cup, and hand fitted at the Colt factory. The original owner of this 1911 used it out of the box at the Camp Perry match.
That target was fired over sand bags at 25 yards and is 8 rounds of +P 185 gr. HP ammo.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
This thread is 100% confirmation that some folks have too much time on their hands. BBQ gun, Safe Queen, who cares - either you bought the gun to look at it, or you bought the gun to shoot it.

I'm typically of the opinion, that if you buy something that you can't afford to enjoy for what it was intended, then you can't really afford it - so dangling a fancy pistol on your hip at my BBQ's that you're afraid to put to work for fear of getting it dirty won't get you any envy. Nobody says you can't carry and shoot your engraved guns. If you're buying something that you have to baby to protect your investment - with the exception of collectors items - then you really can't afford to "own" it.

Man cards revoked.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This thread is 100% confirmation that some folks have too much time on their hands. BBQ gun, Safe Queen, who cares - either you bought the gun to look at it, or you bought the gun to shoot it.

I'm typically of the opinion, that if you buy something that you can't afford to enjoy for what it was intended, then you can't really afford it - so dangling a fancy pistol on your hip at my BBQ's that you're afraid to put to work for fear of getting it dirty won't get you any envy. Nobody says you can't carry and shoot your engraved guns. If you're buying something that you have to baby to protect your investment - with the exception of collectors items - then you really can't afford to "own" it.

Man cards revoked.
Wow, I bet you're a real hoot to be around at parties!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, to me a BBQ gun is one that I shoot rarely, because it's a pain to clean..err...polish! For example: My ruger alaskan gets carried every day, but the S&W...not so much, but it is pretty all polished up!!! You could use it as a mirror! All the revolvers in the pic below get taken to the woods as backups for bear, except the Smith, I'd hate to scratch the finish or the grips.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have plenty of BBQ guns and leather goods. However there IS a difference since I use them frequently on the range and in the field. I have no safe queens since they serve no purpose in my world. I refuse to have a door stop that can't be used or shot.

More power to safe queen owners though, but it's not something I comprehend. However I do admire BBQ weapons cause it's always nice to dress out a fine gun rig and sport it around. Kinda like pulling up to the BBQ in a Corvette which I do anyway.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This thread is 100% confirmation that some folks have too much time on their hands.
Time spent on either Rugerforum is quality time regardless of thread content. :D ;) :D

One man's BBQ gun is another man's Safe Queen. It's all in the eye of the gunholder, but BBQ guns tend to be shown off in the "look at me" mode while Safe Queens tend to be more close-held, shared with close friends and gun aficionados . . . who may also attend BBQs.

JMHO, of course.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is a photo of a BBQ gun that I carried on duty for about 8 years while a patrol deputy and Sgt. It was no safe queen and very accurate. Colt National Match made in the early 60's, pre gold Cup, and hand fitted at the Colt factory. The original owner of this 1911 used it out of the box at the Camp Perry match.

That target was fired over sand bags at 25 yards and is 8 rounds of +P 185 gr. HP ammo.

Beautiful looking and beautiful shooting, the perfect combo!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts