Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
One day later from my last post in this bear gun thread.

Friday night, 10 pm. I'm watching a ... revolution? insurrection? civil war? -- erupt live on TV in multiple cities around the US. It appears that the revolution will be televised after all. Fortunately, I live way up on the edge of the boonies far away from all of it -- happy to be here among the bears instead of in those cities where that is playing out -- and need a break from watching "breaking news".

What bears? With all that ruckus, they've run far away into the woods. Even the Alaskan grizzly's who are no doubt thinking -- as best as bears can think on some level -- they're really glad to be living so far north of that madness, and are smart enough to run away from it.

Last night, I mentioned that I was thinking of .454 Casull for a handgun good for bears.

This is what I had in mind. I can imagine the recoil is probably ... fairly stout. :oops:

Reactions: SA45

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Like mine alot however it is the long barrel DA, not overly packable but have done it with a belt loop type nylon bandalero holster.

In heavy brush or woods my only short barrels ended up being single action, just happened that way over the years though often carry a packable powerful backup anyway (and on or near chest) when I 'used' to follow game trails, Whew!, in grizz/wolf country.

Avoid doing that now as have slightly older reflexes BUT really 'maybe' am just a 'little' wiser. Last time I did this - remember stepping over a moderate size grizz track, minutes old .... it was raining hard is how I know this 'for certain'. Had bright tape on rifle muzzle for spring black bear season, with rare round chambered while in heavy brush.

For me, prefer extra heavy bullet in a really short barrel but have to avoid bullet jump locking up cylinder. Theories Never proven personally.

Need to look it up but velocity loss may or may not be a factor in those calibers?

·
Registered
478 Posts
That is a version of an old joke. But still made me laugh!(y):LOL::ROFLMAO:.
Every time I try to tell it Iscrew it up. Thanks for posting.
Yessir that was funny. I laughed to tears even. 357 Blackhawk for me on the hip at work in Virginia with docile black bears. Have yet to be threatened enough to skin it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lots and lots of bears in Western Washington And for bears= GP100 6" 158 gr XTP/ W296...to backup my 870 12 gauge with slugs

·
Army CW3
1,050 Posts
As a fellow Washingtonian, I heartily agree with you. As there are also Griz in North Central and Northeast Washington, I carry a Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® 4⅝" barrel 41 Remington® Magnum. It is filled with Underwood® 41 Remington Magnum 265 Grain Lead Wide Long Nose Gas Check. I fear no bear, but I respect ALL bears!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lived among the brown bears and grizzlies of Alaska for 10 years,. I had a few close encounters but never had to shed blood. The two rules for staying safe in grizzly country is-

1. Respect the animal and give it the distance it needs.
2. Expect to meet one around every bend. If you're dressing game, have someone keep watch and always have a 12 ga loaded with slugs and 00 nearby. Remember grizzlies and brown bears are bullies. They are used to kicking other bears' butts. They also have a nose that puts a bloodhound to shame but only fair eye sight. When they smell blood, they are going to the source for a meal. If you happen to be bent over gutting an animal when the bear comes up, you look just like another smaller bear that is standing the grizzly's way. The bear is going to do exactly what he would do with another bear in this situation, try to kick you butt and get you off the kill.
3. And the one rule that never fails- Never hunt with anyone you can't outrun. Be prepared to shoot your partner in the knee before running. A 22 revolver is perfectly functional for that. ...;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a great example of just how big brownies can get. We flew in to Hinchinbrook Island in November 1987 for a Sitka blacktail deer and brown bear hunt. Unfortunately, the bears had already gone into hibernation. Our bush pilot in Cordova had a picture of a brown bear standing on all fours with a large Sitka blacktail buck in mouth. The bear was holding the deer pretty much in the middle of his body and none of the deer's feet were touching the ground. It looked like a large German shepherd holding a chihuahua in its mouth.

·
Army CW3
1,050 Posts
how's the Elk hunting there I haven't hunted up there since I was a teen
Nothing like it used to be in the '80s & early '90s. The harvest rate has declined dramatically (60% or so). Only choice for a branch antlered bull is in Western Washington. Just about ALL of Eastern Washington is spike bull only. A very sad state of affairs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
m
Nothing like it used to be in the '80s & early '90s. The harvest rate has declined dramatically (60% or so). Only choice for a branch antlered bull is in Western Washington. Just about ALL of Eastern Washington is spike bull only. A very sad state of affairs.
my cousin who still lives in Washington and wants to hunt in Wenatchee next year

·
Registered
18 Posts
The best thing to use is a firearm you have with you. If it's a heavy firearm, you wont have it with you at all times. I use a S&W 329 44 Mag. So light, I forget I have it with me. Kicks like a mule struck by lightning though with 300gr cast Grizzly ammo.

WC

21 - 35 of 35 Posts