Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a new model blued Bearcat for several years and really like it. My only complaint is the tiny sights. Young folks probably don't have any problem, but my old eyes struggle to get a good sight picture. I read that Lipseys have 2 adjustable sight models - blued and stainless. I took a look at Gun Broker and found a blued one with a Buy Now price that was cheaper than most fixed sight models. I've always thought that a Bearcat with adjustable sights would make an ideal kit gun. I'm laid up with a broken leg right now, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fine looking Bearcat you have there, RMan. The adjustable sights have to be a major improvement for the little revolver.

My Bearcat is a 1964 model inherited from Dad's estate (I was with him when he bought it new at a Miami area gun store). I've put it through the Ruger recall so it now has the transfer bar. My issues with it have always had to do with shooting; I hit the broad side of a barn with it once. May have helped that I was inside the barn at the time. As soon as Ruger makes one that'll accept a red dot (a concession to my 72-year-old eyes that'll soon need cataract surgery), I'll turn the legacy one over to my son to use in training his children and I'll get a new one. For some reason, I just love Ruger handguns.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'm in the same boat, having had several Bearcats with the fixed sights and struggling with the sights. Saw one of the new models with the adjustable sights in a local shop, the other day, and doing my best to convince my hubby that "we" need one.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
NCG I think you need that new gun you have my vote. I am trading my shop keeper today but will get one with adj. site after Christmas.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the same boat, having had several Bearcats with the fixed sights and struggling with the sights. Saw one of the new models with the adjustable sights in a local shop, the other day, and doing my best to convince my hubby that "we" need one.
Not only are the sights adjustable, but they are 1/8" wide like the single six and provide a good sight picture. You really need one of these NCG!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
That's quite nice. I can see the advantage to having adjustable sights. I hope you heal quickly and get out to shoot it! :)

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Casae of unrequited love

I bought a stainless model last month, have seen it twice, but can't pick it up until the 6 th of October. (The peoples Republic only allows me one handgun a month, and I had just acquired a GP100 just before my LGS got this in. This should fit in my tackle box just fine. I'll do a range report around the middle of October.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Not a lot of difference, sometimes, between want and need. :)

By the way, walked into our local shop and guess what the owner had for me, since I had requested one, last week? Yup, a stainless Bearcat with the adjustable sights. Can't wait to shoot it.
I figured you'd convince him, but that was a lot faster than I thought it would take.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a lot of difference, sometimes, between want and need. :)

By the way, walked into our local shop and guess what the owner had for me, since I had requested one, last week? Yup, a stainless Bearcat with the adjustable sights. Can't wait to shoot it.
Well... that didn't take long. Good for you! I'm sure the mister will like it also.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Those are neat little guns, I want one in stainless:)

Almost as much as I want a Shopkeeper....

.22 revolvers are great, they're like the "old friends" of your gun collection.....they're always there for you when you want to do a little plinking, they help stretch out a range day, you can shoot without spending alot, and they are often the ones that always find their way with us on range days. Many days I've walked out into my parent's backyard and fired a few cylinders of .22 just to get some shooting in.

These would be ideal for a Clement's .22 WMR conversion........it just seems "made" to be a .22 Magnum.....

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,249 Posts
I was a little disappointed when these came out only a couple years after I got my Bearcat. I probably would have opted for adjustable. Still, once I filed my front sight to hit perfectly with Mini Mags, I've never had a problem and wouldn't trade for the world. I love the look of the original design.

I might change my tune if my vision ever starts to go though. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ex Army, get the adj. site one first the shopkeeper is nice but a P. I. T.A. the short ejector and big hands with a small gun = frustration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts