Ruger Forum banner

Bears

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ButchF1948 
#1 ·
I'm searching and I did not see and pistol bear hunts. Can we get some pics of bagged bears and the caliber used?

#2 ·
Interesting question but I haven’t seen much on that topic. So, how about a little more info. Do you have something specific you are looking for such as black bears over bait, grizzly spot and stalk, polar bears on the ice pack? Or are you just kind of curious?

Do you have a hunt you are hoping to do? A gun/caliber you are thinking about or already have and are looking to see if it will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I do want to go to Alaska and hunt a bear, Black bear, I had black bear meat when I was a kid and loved it. Heck honestly I'm not even sure if Black bear is legal to hint there or native to that region, so this is kinda a "educate me" type of post.

I am looking to see if take down with a 44mag or 10mm is a wise choice if that is the only firearm I carry.

#6 ·
I am looking to see if take down with a 44mag or 10mm is a wise choice if that is the only firearm I carry.
Personally I’d want a .44 Mag or larger, and the 10MM wouldn’t be in the mix. My dedicated hunting hand gun is chambered in 7-08 Rem. As a hunter I respect what I hunt, so my goal is to harvest an animal as fast as humanly possible. So, .44 Mag or bigger, long barrel and be proficient out to at least 50yds.........and have a back-up handy.

Reactions: ShooterGranny
#5 ·
Alaska shut down non-resident bear hunting this spring because of COVID. And I didn't get out to hunt this spring either (darn it anyway!). I used to hunt sheep with a handgun, a 14" Contender in .357 Herrett, but never ended up shooting one. Black bear are plentiful over most of the state (we have them in the backyard occasionally) and see them often, mostly in the spring eating grass alongside the road. Not too many people hunt bears with pistols but a lot of Alaskans carry pistols (most of us I think!). I'd probably hunt black bear with a pistol, .44 magnum or bigger. I'm sure some would argue that a 10mm or even a .357 magnum is adequate for black bear but most of those arguments seem to come from the armchair experts in my opinion. It seems like most folks aren't really all that proficient with a pistol but I'd imagine if someone was serious about hunting bears with a pistol, they'd also be serious about becoming very proficient...and likely limit their maximum range to 50 yards. Nevertheless, I think I'd want a reliable backup with a larger caliber rifle close by....

#8 ·
Same here ... Rifle hunting for me also. Plus prefer 'open country' hunting and shooting for bears. Have passed on a number of average size plus smaller bears, both in fairly dense woods.

Have 'heard' Blacks are not that hard to put down, for whatever thats worth!

Still, for handgun defense fishing in any bear areas, always carrying gun with at least a 350g Wide Nose bullet or 300g XTP mag. For Big bears, prefer to carry 400 grainers or heavier. Sure hope am never proven wrong (or correct) about this....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.