21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
In your second pic, Jellybean seems to be asking, "Where's my cream cheese?!"

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
^^^ Nice! Is that in the Taos area? Sangre de Cristos? I lived in ABQ for 15 years. I love Maine, but the high desert rat in me misses NM.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Those little rascals have us trained! ;) View attachment 155900
A friend's wife loves feeding Hummingbirds, makes her own 'nectar' that is supposed to be healthier than store bought. It would appear that the local Black Bears are fond of it as well. the other feeders they haul away to empty, the nectar they drink on the spot.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
(Dons biologist hat) I was trained mostly in invertebrate critters -- insects and the like -- and never had an ornithology class. But in an animal physiology class, I learned that hummers have one of the highest rates of metabolism of any animal. Metabolic rates are usually measured as BMR -- basal metabolic rate. It's far higher in hummers than most other warm-blooded critters (closest in mammals I think is among shrews), meaning it has to eat nearly constantly to stay alive.

·
Exchequer
4,843 Posts
Man! Some beautiful pics.

I'm eager to get settled into our new place and start planting native wildflowers, put up some bat houses, bird feeders (including hummingbirds), and some feed corn for deer.

Then, just kick back with a cool one (or three) and watch the parade of nature.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts