Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Man! Some beautiful pics.

I'm eager to get settled into our new place and start planting native wildflowers, put up some bat houses, bird feeders (including hummingbirds), and some feed corn for deer.

Then, just kick back with a cool one (or three) and watch the parade of nature.
I'm following your new house in TN thread with interest. Haven't posted there yet -- just found it a couple of days ago, and want to read more before -- but really like your house design.

And loving your stated intention to watch the parade of nature. I do that daily over here, usually also with cold ones over in hammock camp (it's the biologist/ecologist bushcrafter in me), and wish many, many more would do it, too. :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Pelicans, right? Great capture in one frame. Not only beauty in pictures there, but poetry in motion.

I had the pleasure of watching pelicans do that on the Pacific coast of Mexico (a field trip to Playa de Oro, Colima) circa 1977. Group after group after group at sunrise. They were cruising along the coast like that, but right at water level, wing tips often dipping into it. They flew in front of a wave, and when it broke, they lifted over the top and to the back of it, then kept going in front of the next one until it broke. Repeat until reach destination. Poetry.

View attachment 155917

Beachside in Flagler Beach FL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pelicans, right? Great capture in one frame. Not only beauty in pictures there, but poetry in motion.

I had the pleasure of watching pelicans do that on the Pacific coast of Mexico (a field trip to Playa de Oro, Colima) circa 1977. Group after group after group at sunrise. They were cruising along the coast like that, but right at water level, wing tips often dipping into it. They flew in front of a wave, and when it broke, they lifted over the top and to the back of it, then kept going in front of the next one until it broke. Repeat until reach destination. Poetry.
You're right. Those Pelicans ride the thermals as they cruise in formation along the beach. I like watching them offshore too while they are actively fishing. I wish my beach poles would catch that many!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had a robin build a nest right on top of my front porch light. Smart bird - there was shelter from the overhang.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I had a robin build a nest right on top of my front porch light. Smart bird - there was shelter from the overhang.
This nest is approximately 8' away from the back door, a few years back a robin built a nest on top of the light fixture under the roof overhang ... Ohio robins are pretty intelligent ...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't have pictures as it was largely the pre-digital age for me. We have 'tons' of Robins here, when it got to be late summer/fall the then unused nests would fall out of the trees and I would find them while mowing. Each one had a silky smooth lining created by the underlayer of fur that my sled dog shed each spring. Nest building and that Spring 'blowout' generally coincided in timing and Robins are indeed smart about how to make nest building choices.

Not an 'in the wild' picture but the source of much nest lining material.

Bruce

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I don't have pictures as it was largely the pre-digital age for me. We have 'tons' of Robins here, when it got to be late summer/fall the then unused nests would fall out of the trees and I would find them while mowing. Each one had a silky smooth lining created by the underlayer of fur that my sled dog shed each spring. Nest building and that Spring 'blowout' generally coincided in timing and Robins are indeed smart about how to make nest building choices.

View attachment 155963

Not an 'in the wild' picture but the source of much nest lining material.

Bruce
I can remember reading articles as a kid about putting out pieces of colored thread in the bushes and on the ground in the spring time then watch and see the various birds use them in their nest building. It was always cool to see some color within a nest ... beautiful dog ...

·
Exalted One
1,834 Posts
^^^ Polyphemous moth: Antheraea polyphemus.

That's a wow. Glad to see them still around.

Another big beautiful one is luna moth. Same size, similar features, but pastel light lime green.

(My undergrad/BS focused on entomology.)
We've had some Luna Moths around, too, but they usually die before we find them. Beautiful creations but since they can't eat, they just die of starvation. Thanks for letting me know about our Antheraea_polyphemus!

41 - 60 of 111 Posts