Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my younger years my mother used to occasionally fix beef tongue for dinner. It was inexpensive and there were several ways to fix it. I thought it was good and really got my taste buds going (pardon the tongue pun). My favorite way to eat it was cold and it made great sandwiches.

Any body else enjoy this? My wife refuses to eat it despite my attempts to get her to try it.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As a young boy I remember my father eating beef tongue, I tried it and loved it. Not sure how mom prepared it but it was delicious. I'm 60 now and have not had beef tongue since I was maybe 12-13 years old. Would give it a go if I knew how to prepare it. Anyone with some recipes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My mother used to Pressure cook it. Hot or cold, it did make great sandwiches. My ex-wife refused to even let me talk about it.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Growing up we always had a pickled tongue in the fridge!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Best part of the animal, boil or crock pot, make gravy and rice or potatoes. It's now $5 a lb. in our local HEB grocery.

·
Pony Soldier
8,641 Posts
I have tried tongue tacos in the ethnic part of Omaha. very tasty!!
Have a couple in the freezer, and can't get wifey to think about preparing it.
Probably will have to take it to work and try the crock pot.

Greg

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Beef tongue is excellent, but is no longer inexpensive. I used to get pickled tongue and corned beef sandwiches at a deli in Milwaukee. In recent years the deli didn't always have tongue, and when they did, they were forced to charge a lot for it. I asked them about it, and they said most of it is exported to Japan where they consider it a delicacy.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I remember eating cold tongue sandwiches as a kid and I loved them. Haven't had any for a very long time but I would try it again.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
My wife loves beef tongue; growing up, I used to eat it from time to time (we lived on a cattle ranch), but it was never a favorite of mine. My wife uses her family recipe and it's quite tasty. It takes some getting used to, since it doesn't have a "grain" the way steaks and roasts do (the muscle fibers in the tongue are oriented in multiple directions), and it doesn't have much fat, so it can get really dry if you over-cook it.

Jim

Reactions: Neon Horse

·
Registered
99 Posts
My grandma made the best pickled beef tongue.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
And we ate hog brains too, also beef liver. I must say though my wife has civilized me and I have lost my taste for both.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
There is a restaurant here that does great beef cheeks.....

·
Registered
506 Posts
During WWII, it was often the only meat you could get. Hated it then and never tried it after Mom stopped getting it when the war was over.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts