Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I both have LCP's. I have been carrying mine for 3 years, hers has sat in the safe since buying it almost 2 years ago. I go out shooting weekly, but she's only put 12 rounds through hers. She recently bought a new IWB holster and wants to start shooting and CC, so her primary reason is for self defense. So as a new SD shooter, is it better to get her started by aiming for the bulls eye, or is it better to get her started by simply making hits in the center mass? I would think the latter, but would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I would make sure she totally understands the function of the weapon first, and make sure she has all the basics covered (proper stance, hold, etc), and put a target 5' in front of her. As you mentioned, concentrate on putting one shot center mass first. I normally put my weapon at about waist height and draw it up and fire one shot and repeat. As she gets more proficient, move the target back, and maybe fire two shots with the second as fast as possible with center mass accuracy.
She should be able to get shots on target at 5' and will begin to gain confidence.
Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Hinter49, start close to build her confidence then back up. Shooting is always more fun when you hit the target/bullseye so maybe she will enjoy it and start shooting more than 2 magazines.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
When I got my wife shooting I told her I wasn't worried about "center hits", I was more concerned about her handling and overall shooting of the gun. The accuracy will come with time and practice ...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I also agree with what Hunter said. Have her get used to the gun function ,work on her stance , work on her draw ! Practice as mentioned Center mass and close at first then range out a little at a time. Have her practice trigger pull and maybe snap caps or caps w/a laser so she can practice on a target in the house! Practice reloading and clearing a jam!
IMO nothing could be better then shooting with the wife or kids :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
First time I took Mrs to the range, I covered the basics, range safety and the like. I loaded 5 rounds, handed her my Colt 1911 Series 70, MkIV. She put all 5 in the black at 25yds. Didn't know if I should've been proud, frightened, or both.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Have her take a NRA SD course preferably taught by other women. They will know more about what your wife need to do/have/use more than a bunch of men on a gun forum.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The LCP is hardly a target gun, I'd be happy if she could hit center of mass at a reasonable defensive distance. Want her to wack quarter sized groups at 25 yards pick up a MK III .22 in a target configuration. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of starting her out at a short distance then moving out as she becomes more proficient. And yes I agree, the LCP is not designed as a "fun" target gun. I did however, work up some mild loads(within printed data) which tame the recoil a bit while still maintaining accuracy at short distance, and actually makes the LCP a little bit funner to shoot.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
First time I took Mrs to the range, I covered the basics, range safety and the like. I loaded 5 rounds, handed her my Colt 1911 Series 70, MkIV. She put all 5 in the black at 25yds. Didn't know if I should've been proud, frightened, or both.
I did the same with mine years back with the same results. :eek:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The wife and I both have LCP's. I have been carrying mine for 3 years, hers has sat in the safe since buying it almost 2 years ago. I go out shooting weekly, but she's only put 12 rounds through hers. She recently bought a new IWB holster and wants to start shooting and CC, so her primary reason is for self defense. So as a new SD shooter, is it better to get her started by aiming for the bulls eye, or is it better to get her started by simply making hits in the center mass? I would think the latter, but would like to hear your thoughts.
First, get her fully indoctrinated to safe gun handling.
Next, get her more indoctrinated to safe gun handling.
Thereafter, get her comfortable with the operation of the LCP. Twelve rounds in 2 years hardly qualifies as "familiar". Not to mention, the LCP really is a pretty challenging gun to be proficient with.

Then she should be ready to start seriously training for SD carry. IMO, bulls eye training is a waste of time for SD. It is a different, contradictory skill set. Trying to hit the "x" ring every time entails a slow, deliberate aim, with perfect sight picture and slow, consistent trigger pull. SD on the other hand is quick shots to center mass, possibly with follow up shots. "Sight picture" is more point-and-shoot or flash picture over conventional "front post in focus with rear sight and target slightly blurred". However, as others have suggested, I would certainly start close and progress to greater distances only after consistent results within close range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts