Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live a few miles from a Walmart and drive past it often, no problem.
However, everytime I stop in to shop or just browse, ( looking but not buying) a few hours later I receive a message on the home tablet asking me to "rate my shopping experience at the Walmart super center". This only happens when I have my cell phone with me, if I leave the phone home, nothing. I find this tracking very creepy and is it legal? From now on the phone stays home because I only want my wife to know where I go.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They know where and who you are.

You and I might get different ads based on what areas of the store you lingered at.

The technology is already in use where YOUR phone will trigger an ad on a screen in a mall based on your habits. As I walk by it will serve a different ad.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Try turning your phone off before you get to the store and then see if it happens.
If you plan on a life of crime or want the utmost in privacy leave your phone at home or remove the battery. Secret segments of Uncle Sam can track you with the phone off. Newer phones make it difficult to remove the battery. I just replaced the battery on my non-removable, non-user serviceable battery. You need a heat gun the batteries are glued in.

Modern electronics make things convenient but say bye-bye to privacy especially with google. You can opt out of many app tracking and some of google but you need to go into the settings and it can be fairly complex. Try reading the service agreements of programs and apps you use. Scary!

The first time my phone freaked me out it told me how long it would take for me to get home through traffic. It figured out where I work and live by tracking me every day. I use google maps to find the best routes to places and it tells me when I was there last. Sometimes it will ask if I want to rate the place since I'm a regular.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not too long ago I could not remember the website I used to buy reflective dog collars from. I couldn't even find it in an old email. So one time I am sitting watching tv and it just hits me and I say it out loud, "gundogsupply.com". So a few hours later I get on the computer and there are ads in my news websites for gundogsupply.com. That was creepy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In addition to tracking your movements, your phone also listens through the built-in microphone.
One I was at a shopping center, and just popped my head in the door of the local Christian Book Store, and the clerk behind the counter if they had any wide-margin King James bibles. Soon as I got back home and logged into Facebook, the entire right sidebar of my computer screen was filled with ads for wide-margin King James bibles.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I have too many examples of my phone listening and tracking me. I got this about a year ago (when the whole covid tracking stuff started rolling out) and unless I am at home or work, my phone is turned off and in this bag. Call me paranoid.

Mission Darkness Dry Shield Faraday Phone Sleeve // Slim Waterproof Dry Bag for Cell Phones + RF Shielding Liner // Signal Blocking, Anti-tracking, EMP Shield, Data Privacy, Electronic Device Security https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081D9RV9...abc_RP436015T9VN5KAJR8EX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Neither my wife nor I have 'smart phones' but I wonder if that tracking tech is trickling down. She got a new flip phone a few months ago and each of the recent times she has been to Bass Pro (I couldn't find anything I wanted a year and a half ago, haven't been back) there has been a 'Rate your latest Shopping Experience' email from them a day or three later. She doesn't have email so it comes to me. Curious how it fits together.

Bruce

·
Registered
562 Posts
Neither my wife nor I have 'smart phones' but I wonder if that tracking tech is trickling down. She got a new flip phone a few months ago and each of the recent times she has been to Bass Pro (I couldn't find anything I wanted a year and a half ago, haven't been back) there has been a 'Rate your latest Shopping Experience' email from them a day or three later. She doesn't have email so it comes to me. Curious how it fits together.

Bruce
From what I see in shopping for a new flip-phone all the offerings are using "smart" technology.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You could try a Faraday cage phone case and see how that works.

First link in a search.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Now that is a bit creepy :O
I believe you can go to settings to shut down the GPS tracking program !
As for the listening I do not know anything about that but extra creepy on what is being used today :O
Today I log off anything ammo related or anything I want less chance of tracking. My History and Cookies if any get deleted anytime I log off
So yea I am a bit cautious lol

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Total privacy has become a thing of the past. Technology has been slowly oozing in on us for a long time and we never noticed, til' it's toooo late now.

·
Exchequer
5,057 Posts
My Android phone uses Google for most of the factory-installed programs, including maps. I have turned off the history option on Google maps, and have turned off all the tracking programs that I can. Additionally, I routinely delete the browsing history on my phone.

Short of getting an old-fashioned, "stupid", flip phone, I'm not sure what else can be done except simply not having a cell phone.

I've also done internet searches for myself and my wife and have gone to the major data-collecting sites to opt out of their services. These are the sites that collect and maintain public record info.

It's a time-consuming process, but in my mind, well worth the effort.

"You're only truly paranoid when everyone is out to get you!"

Some good tips here: How to Remove Personal Information from Internet Sources for Free

1 - 20 of 81 Posts