Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought that entered my head. I have been a gun owner for about 4 months now.:D I am sure I was observed that way as well when I first started. Anyways my friend and I went to our lgs/range and I commented on a group of guys that got out of their car and into the place, that they were were green (non gun owners, first time shooters). Observing they had no gear and their mannerisms, and walked straight into the shop. Just curious how other fellow gun enthusiasts recognize greenies?:)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Just a thought that entered my head. I have been a gun owner for about 4 months now.:D I am sure I was observed that way as well when I first started. Anyways my friend and I went to our lgs/range and I commented on a group of guys that got out of their car and into the place, that they were were green (non gun owners, first time shooters). Observing they had no gear and their mannerisms, and walked straight into the shop. Just curious how other fellow gun enthusiasts recognize greenies?:)
They usually post here with their first post "my Ruger is broken". Just kidding.

A lot of the time they have a brand new gun and are asking questions. The membership at our range has exploded and we get a lot of new guys/gals. We will often even get someone that doesn't have a gun and just wants information. Everytime I see it everyone is more than happy to show them the ropes. I've even let them shoot some of my guns so they can get experience on more than one gun.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind showing newbies the ropes. Haven't been approached by one yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have only been a gun owner for two months your a still a greenie to most of us.
No offence intended glad you are a new gun owner.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have only been a gun owner for two months your a still a greenie to most of us.
No offence intended glad you are a new gun owner.
Where did you get 2 months? Anyways yes I admit I am still a bit green under the collar and like with everything else there are many things I still can learn and will learn. :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Where did you get 2 months? Anyways yes I admit I am still a bit green under the collar and like with everything else there are many things I still can learn and will learn. :D
At two months one day you become an expert. :D Depending on how much you shoot I think it takes two to four years.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I see new people at the range where I'm a member, at my LGS and the Big Box Stores in the guns & ammo departments quite frequently. Personally I can spot a new person pretty quick, there's something about their mannerisms when they're handling guns & ammo, how they shoot, the way they talk, etc.

A veteran "gun-person" acts totally different in manner...I call it a "quiet deliberance". For the most part I'm glad to see new people taking up the shooting sport/hobby. There are some I've seen that I wish would find something safer for them, (and us), to do. :eek:

I haven't had the opportunity to assist/teach a new person with anything yet but I'd enjoy helping out when needed. Hey, we were ALL new people at one time and somebody was there to help us...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
After a while..... you "just" recognise them I suppose.
Over here, it's a bit different.
We do not have ranges where you can just walk up and shoot.
There is a formal process involving a club and a recognised club shoot.
Our newbies get the best introduction to firearms that they can be given.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Pretty much what JK55 said - they have a bewildered look and you can sense they have a million questions. :) "Old pros" are more the all business style. They know what they are looking for and what they want. Maybe it's the old teacher in me, but I love helping the beginners. Keeps me young.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
IWhen I see an obviously new shooter by their mannerisms I ask if they have any questions as I am a shooter of 40 years. if they say no I let them be but usually people will ask for help unless a guy is too macho too ask for help.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Pretty much what JK55 said - they have a bewildered look and you can sense they have a million questions. :) "Old pros" are more the all business style. They know what they are looking for and what they want. Maybe it's the old teacher in me, but I love helping the beginners. Keeps me young.
i'm pretty much still a newbie to the whole thing myself, but i'm happy when there's a bewildered look. it's the ones who want to act like they know what they're doing (but don't) who scare me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,304 Posts
Next spring will be fifty years of shooting for me including twenty-two years in the military and tours in Viet Nam. I am still learning.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just picked up a hogue overmolded stock in ghillie green...very nice...

I don't mind gun greenies, though the ones who try to gloss over their novice status by talking and acting like they are gun savy will often tip their hand by saying something that is comical, untrue or simply outrageous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts