Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This belongs in Single Actions because it's a single action issue, but it would be moved here eventually.

On an original Vaquero, the base pin won't come all the way out because it hits the ejector button. If I replace it with a Belt Mtn Colt style base pin, which doesn't have the 6-mile long 'head,' will it come free of the frame without removing the ejector housing (which is what I'll have to do to get the stock base pin out, right...?)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some number of years ago, when I was fitting the Belt Mountain pins, they did not give trouble that way. IIRC, the BM pin has a deeper groove in it for the latch to sit in and we were putting in slightly heavier latch springs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had planned to put in a heavy spring to avoid the pin jumping the groove under heavy recoil, but I assume that since it's a shorter pin, it will come all the way out when I remove it, unlike the current pin, which is captive. Was looking for confirmation from someone who may have done this mod.

I know a Vaquero is not a Colt, and I was determined to keep it stock and enjoy it for what it is, but it's hard to resist changing it. Power Custom makes a hammer and trigger kit that restores those glorious clicks to the cocking sequence, and may look a little more Coltish than the stock hammer, which has a Blackhawk-type profile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts